It's finally time to start on the board itself. ZOTAC has built its board around the NVIDIA reference design for the 790i. It uses the same 6-layer 24x30cm ATX PCB with all of the connectors in the same place as the reference design recommends. However, the cooling system for the chipset is slightly altered. The 24-pin power connector along with the IDE connector and four of the six SATA ports that are run off the MCP are located behind the four DDR3 memory slots. The 4/8 pin connector gets placed between the rear I/O ports and the heatpipe assembly. The last two SATA ports run by the MCP along with the FDD port are located on the mid-point of the right hand edge of the board.
ZOTAC has gone and used the reference design power regulation system that NVIDIA recommends; that being six phases. ZOTAC hasn't jumped on any power saving bandwagon yet, so this board is not an environmentally friendly board apart from its RoHS compliance. The heatpipe assembly runs from the MCP to the SPP and around the CPU to cool the CPU voltage Mosfets along with the memory Mosfets. If you plan to overclock, you need to install the included fan to the Northbridge area to keep it cool when running high clock speeds.
At the back of the board we have the I/O ports. ZOTAC hasn't used the reference design for its port configuration; on the back we have a pretty standard array of ports, no serial or parallel ports make their way here. One of the biggest features here is the inclusion of the single eSATA port running off a JMicron SATA controller.
Now we are down to the expansion slots. First off we have our graphics slots; thanks to the use of the 790i SLI Ultra chipset, we have three PCI Express x16 slots. The top most green slots are run off the 790i SPP and are PCI Express 2.0 compliant. The bottom PCI Express x16 slot is run off the MCP and is only 1.1 compliant. Two PCI Express x1 slots, one above and one below the first PCI Express x16 slot on the board make up the final PCI Express expansion. Lastly, there are two PCI legacy slots.
The extra accessories on the board come in the form of a single JMicron PCI Express SATA controller which controls the eSATA port along with the red SATA port near the heatpipe assembly. For FireWire support, a single Texas Instruments PCI based FireWire chip supporting two ports is resident.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 4 [Inside the Box Continued]
- Page 5 [The Motherboard]
- Page 6 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 7 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 14 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple iPhone 6s was the best-selling smartphone of 2016
- Rogue One looks great, even in a fan-made VHS commercial
- Intel working on next-gen Xeon with 32C/64T of power
- Xbox boss: first-party Project Scorpio games 'critical'
- Apple rumored to consider purchasing Disney
- Intel Optane Memory: What It Is and Why It Matters
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse