It's finally time to start on the board itself. ZOTAC has built its board around the NVIDIA reference design for the 790i. It uses the same 6-layer 24x30cm ATX PCB with all of the connectors in the same place as the reference design recommends. However, the cooling system for the chipset is slightly altered. The 24-pin power connector along with the IDE connector and four of the six SATA ports that are run off the MCP are located behind the four DDR3 memory slots. The 4/8 pin connector gets placed between the rear I/O ports and the heatpipe assembly. The last two SATA ports run by the MCP along with the FDD port are located on the mid-point of the right hand edge of the board.
ZOTAC has gone and used the reference design power regulation system that NVIDIA recommends; that being six phases. ZOTAC hasn't jumped on any power saving bandwagon yet, so this board is not an environmentally friendly board apart from its RoHS compliance. The heatpipe assembly runs from the MCP to the SPP and around the CPU to cool the CPU voltage Mosfets along with the memory Mosfets. If you plan to overclock, you need to install the included fan to the Northbridge area to keep it cool when running high clock speeds.
At the back of the board we have the I/O ports. ZOTAC hasn't used the reference design for its port configuration; on the back we have a pretty standard array of ports, no serial or parallel ports make their way here. One of the biggest features here is the inclusion of the single eSATA port running off a JMicron SATA controller.
Now we are down to the expansion slots. First off we have our graphics slots; thanks to the use of the 790i SLI Ultra chipset, we have three PCI Express x16 slots. The top most green slots are run off the 790i SPP and are PCI Express 2.0 compliant. The bottom PCI Express x16 slot is run off the MCP and is only 1.1 compliant. Two PCI Express x1 slots, one above and one below the first PCI Express x16 slot on the board make up the final PCI Express expansion. Lastly, there are two PCI legacy slots.
The extra accessories on the board come in the form of a single JMicron PCI Express SATA controller which controls the eSATA port along with the red SATA port near the heatpipe assembly. For FireWire support, a single Texas Instruments PCI based FireWire chip supporting two ports is resident.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 4 [Inside the Box Continued]
- Page 5 [The Motherboard]
- Page 6 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 7 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 14 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni