- Board Layout
The GA-7VTXE mainboard uses a 1AGP/5PCI layout. While it is nice to have left off the ACR/CNR slot, it was a bit disappointing to not have the sixth PCI slot on the board. The KT266A chipset has support for six, and it's just a shame to not utilize the full potential of it. Also consider that once you realize that the first PCI slot is pretty much useless (it shares an IRQ address with the hungry AGP port), then you'll see the need for that last slot.
The chipset used in this motherboard is the tried and true VIA KT266A. It has been proven time and time again as one of the best performing chipsets for the AMD Thunderbird and AthlonXP processors. While the Northbridge (top) didn't have any active cooling, I noticed no problems with stability. The VIA VT8233 Southbridge (bottom) offers the standard fare that would be expected with this chipset choice such as support of four IDE devices, support of up to six PCI devices, and built in sound capabilities using the AC'97 CODEC.
Have you ever been in the middle of a BIOS update and then had it fail for some reason? Or how about getting that most recent email from your best friend only to find out that you've been infected by some new virus that completely blows away your BIOS. It's not too hard to come up with any number of reasons for something like Gigabyte offers us; namely their Dual BIOS.
The way it works is simple. If you have a corrupted BIOS, there is a second chip mounted on the board that has the most recent GOOD version on it. When you discover that you have a problem, you just shut the system down, and then boot up again. When the memory testing screen appears, you hit F1 to enter the Dual BIOS/Q-FLASH area of the system. There, you will have options to boot up from the secondary BIOS chip and keep on going just as if nothing had happened.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding is an open-world action game
- CyberPowerPC's new Ryzen PCs: from $983 up to $2399
- AMD's cheaper Ryzen 5/Ryzen 3 CPUs should launch in Q2
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- NVIDIA has 70.5% GPU market share, AMD has 29.5%
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications