Lite-On's DX-401S is just all class from the word go, and if you're interested in getting on the Blu-ray bandwagon, this could be the perfect accessory for you. The good thing about the external ROM is it adds so much more functionality. While you pay a small premium for it, the ability to take that drive anywhere you go makes up for the added cost. The initial word on pricing is far from scary with it being around the $150 - $200 USD mark, making it a much more affordable option when compared to the PS3 or other stand alone Blu-ray players.
It's the kind of product you could be seen showing off pretty easily. We can just imagine your mate gets himself a new 1080P LCD for the lounge room, he hasn't thought about taking the plunge to Blu-ray because he's not too sure about the improvements. With a HDMI or DVI enabled laptop with HDCP in hand and your Lite-On DX-401S, you could be watching High-Def explosions in full 1080P within a few minutes of walking in that door.
If you find yourself being one of those people who are quite picky on noise levels, you're going to be pleased to find that the drive is practically silent. At one point we found ourselves putting our ear up to it to make sure it was actually spinning away. You don't have to worry about that horrible whining noise that you can quite often get from ROM drives.
On a whole the drive has so much going for it; with excellent build quality and a very cool look, it's going to match most decor without any dramas. You throw in the fact that you can take it anywhere and we've got a real winner in our hands here. You really end up with Blu-ray on the go.
The only real gripe one could find with the BD-ROM drive from Lite-On is that it's not a DVD burner. This isn't really a bad thing though, as it does help keep the overall cost down. And really, if you're buying a BD-ROM for your HTPC or adding Blu-ray playback capabilities to your notebook, what are the chances that you're going to need a DVD burner? For the most part, you've probably already got one installed anyway.
The Lite-On DX-401S is going to make a great addition to your HTPC and will boost the enjoyment you get out of movies with that beautiful High-Definition playback. If you're just looking at getting into some clearer movies while having the mobility functionality an external drive offers, or you want to become a mobile Blu-ray salesmen, the DX-401S is probably going to be the drive for you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Drive and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System and Nero Disc Speed]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI wants to put a GTX 1080 in its new VR PC backpack
- ZOTAC's GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme is a BEAST, and we love it
- MSI displays its new GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G at Computex 2016
- ASUS crams a pair of GTX 1080s into beastly ROG G31 Edition 10 PC
- ASUS teases the Ghost Rider custom PC at Computex 2016
- Z170 Extreme7+ Correct USB drivers Win10 x64
- Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 & 950 NVMe M.2 SSD question
- Problem entering bios on new build
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - Titan X Performance For Under $400
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Patriot presents UHS-II capable EP PRO-II SDXC and microSDXC
- Patriot announces 2TB Ignite SSD
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream