Test System Setup
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Cooling: Stock cooling
Motherboard(s): MSI X48 Platinum (Supplied by MSI)
Graphics Card(s): MSI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (Supplied by MSI)
Memory: 2 X 2GB Patriot DDR3-1666 (Supplied by Patriot)
Hard Disk(s): Seagate 320GB 7200RPM SATA-2 7200.10 (Supplied by Seagate)
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
Drivers: ATI Catalyst 8.3
With the Lite-On DX-401S in hand along with our trusty Pioneer DVR-212 DVD burner, it's time to see how the drives compare against each other.
One thing that is worth noting is that the Pioneer DVR-212 drive is an internal SATA drive while the Lite-On DX-401S is a USB 2.0 drive. While USB 2.0 has come a long way, it's not quite the same as having the drive connected directly to the motherboards SATA port.
Nero DiscSpeed 4
In our first test we check out the access times, as you can see for our BR media the access time is actually better than our DVD with the 25GB able to edge out the 50GB disc. Comparing DVD to DVD between the two drives, we can see the access times are very similar between the two.
As you would expect, the burst rate from the Pioneer SATA drive is the highest of the two, but the USB 2.0 Lite-On BR ROM does manage to hold itself together without any dramas.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Drive and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System and Nero Disc Speed]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- KFC's new meal box charges your smartphone with its built-in battery
- Join the 'Gods of Egypt' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway!
- Four-part Mass Effect book series links original trilogy to Andromeda
- Sonic the Hedgehog's new 2017 game to have 'huge emphasis on quality'
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Why does my Monitor show static and lines occasionally when using 144hz?
- Considering a DK-04 when they come in stock, just have a few questions beforehand.
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- X170 EXTREME ECC Build
- GA-Z77-UD5H and W10 Sata Port Recognition?
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines