The Shuttle AV40 was the first production P4X266 board to hit the market. There are two versions of this motherboard, the AV40 and the AV40R. The only difference between them is that the AV40R features a Promise ATA100 RAID controller. There are 5 PCI slots, a 2x/4x AGP slot and no AMR/CNR or ISA slots. An extra PCI slot would have been nice due to the fact there was no inclusion of an ISA slot. CNR and AMR slots are rarely used and usually just take up space on the motherboard. The main issue I had with the layout of this motherboard was the FDD header placement. It was placed far award from the IDE headers making it somewhat inaccessible. Some of you will need to purchase either a longer FDD cable or a new case in order to have the cable reach from the FDD drive to the FDD header. Other than that, the layout of the board was fairly logical with the ATX header placed behind the DIMM slots so the wires do not run over the heatsink/fan unit.
Promise ATA100 RAID Controller
The AV40R features three DDR DIMM slots that allow for up to 1.5GB of PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM. This should be more than enough for anyone looking to purchase this motherboard. The North Bridge is cooled by a rather large Foxconn heatsink/fan unit. While the North Bridge only requires a passive heatsink, having an added fan will certainly lead to more stable overclocking. For those of you that don't care for high quality sound, The AV40R also features VIA onboard sound.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset