As you can see in the diagram below, the P4X266's North Bridge provides support for regular SDRAM and DDR SDRAM. The DDR memory controller is the same as the one found in VIA's latest revision of the KT266 chipset, the KT266A. This controller supports up to 4GB 200/266MHz DDR SDRAM. The P4X266 chipset also uses the same V-Link interface and AGP 4x controller that we saw in the KT266 chipset.
The P4X266 chipset is compatible with both the Socket 423 and Socket 478 form factors. The newer Socket 478 form factor will be used for future Pentium 4 processors such as the soon to be released Northwood based Pentium 4. The P4X266 motherboards we are testing today both feature the Socket 478 design.
Adding to the list of similarities of the KT266 chipset, the P4X266 features the VT8233 South Bridge. This South Bridge has a built in Ethernet controller, three USB controllers, two ATA100/66/33 controllers and support for an integrated 56k modem. The VT8233 also features 6 channel AC-97 sound. The South Bridge and North Bridge communicate through an 8bit V-Link bus that can transfer at speeds of up to 266MB/sec.
We have been given the opportunity to review two P4X266 motherboards. These are the Shuttle AV40R and the ACorp 4VPX266A. Before we move on to the benchmarks, lets take a look at each board individually.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blompkamp's 'Alien' sequel won't 'see the light of day'
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives