To test the Coolink ChipChilla I used a standard NVIDIA 680i SLI motherboard that was provided to me by XFX (Pine Technology) more than a year ago. The 680i SLI chipset has a reputation of running hot, even at idle running stock speeds. This makes it the perfect motherboard to test the ChipChilla .or so I thought.
The NVIDIA MCP; the Southbridge is cooled by the Northbridge cooler via a heatpipe that goes from one to the other. A custom Southbridge cooler needed to be fabricated, so I took one from another motherboard that made the cooling for the Southbridge active.
The next hurdle came in the temperature monitor; NVIDIA has started that their internal thermal probe has some issues with giving accurate readings. To solve this problem I placed a thermal probe on the side of the MCP chip to get an accurate reading from the SPP.
The Coolink ChipChilla does a very good job at cooling the Northbridge, a large improvement over the stock cooler. In most cases, the rule is that the cooler you can keep a chip, the faster you are able to run it.
My biggest complaint for the Reference SPP Cooler is that it is without a doubt the loudest fan in my gaming computer. The ChipChilla is much quieter; it is actually so quiet that I had a difficult time getting an accurate reading since the stock NVIDIA 8800 GTX cooler was louder than the ChipChilla.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Cooler]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- OWC Introduces 3TB Mercury Elite Pro External Storage
- Raijintek Atlantis Line of DIY Watercooling Products Now Available
- EVGA Announces the 'Bullets or Blades' Bundle
- Seagate Completes Acquisition of Dot Hill Systems
- Be Quiet! Announces Silent Base 600 Case Series