A Few Oddities
When playing back a disc that has Dolby TrueHD, the on-screen display notifies me that it is only decoding Dolby TrueHD in stereo, but it's most definitely playing back in discreet 5.1 channels, and not outputting some form of stereo to be played back as pro logic on my Logitech Z5500's.
Changing audio tracks on a Blu-ray disc on the fly results in a slow down of the picture, causing stuttering for roughly ten seconds whilst the disc finds its feet. This could be my Lite On drive, but I somehow doubt it. DVD discs do not have the same problem.
According to the press release, version 8 now supports the output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA, although I lack the hardware to confirm this.
Moving from Blu-ray, I then went to see if there had been any improvements to HD-DVD. I inserted my demo disc of choice - Hot Fuzz. I was surprised to see a 'no disc in drive' error. I ejected the disc and tried again. Same error. I then tried Batman Begins. Same error. I then began thinking that my relatively new HD-DVD add on drive was on the blink, but I decided to check the CyberLink forums to see if any other users were having the same problem. And they were.
HD-DVD support is completely gone.
To say I was surprised was an understatement. Again, I am waiting to hear from CyberLink on the issues behind this, but the good news is that if you really need HD-DVD playback you can still run PowerDVD 7, con-currently with 8.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ESA extends ISS participation to 2024
- AMD Radeon GPU tech will power Intel's next-gen iGPUs
- Titanfall 2 infographic reveal interesting information
- Apple's new MacBook Pro has crappy battery life
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand