As of late we have started to see a huge jump in not only the speeds of 2.5" hard disks for notebooks and server farms, but also in regards to capacities; sizes that were once impossible for notebook drives above 160GB are now hitting the shelves, thanks to new storage technologies.
The first technology we have to thank is the Serial ATA interface which has made connecting drives to systems a lot easier with its simple 7-pin data connection. With such a small footprint for the data and power cables, notebooks and desktop PCs use the same interface, allowing you to connect a notebook HDD to a desktop if you so desire. While going the other way is pretty hard, it's not completely impossible. Secondly, the introduction of NCQ or Native Command Queuing which helps the hard disk search for data out of order is also a god send.
Moving to the increase in size, we have to thank Perpendicular Recording. Rather than placing the metal bits in a lateral arrangement, they are setup in a longitudinal arrangement allowing more bits to be stored in the same area.
Today we have Hitachi's 250GB Travelstar 5400RPM hard disk designed as an upgrade for notebooks or as an add-in for servers using 2.5" drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Aware of 'let's play' videos? Here's every single one summarized
- This Grand Theft Auto IV hyper-realistic mod is better than real life
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- Beautiful film made using only water, a 5 yen coin and an Apple iPhone
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog