As of late we have started to see a huge jump in not only the speeds of 2.5" hard disks for notebooks and server farms, but also in regards to capacities; sizes that were once impossible for notebook drives above 160GB are now hitting the shelves, thanks to new storage technologies.
The first technology we have to thank is the Serial ATA interface which has made connecting drives to systems a lot easier with its simple 7-pin data connection. With such a small footprint for the data and power cables, notebooks and desktop PCs use the same interface, allowing you to connect a notebook HDD to a desktop if you so desire. While going the other way is pretty hard, it's not completely impossible. Secondly, the introduction of NCQ or Native Command Queuing which helps the hard disk search for data out of order is also a god send.
Moving to the increase in size, we have to thank Perpendicular Recording. Rather than placing the metal bits in a lateral arrangement, they are setup in a longitudinal arrangement allowing more bits to be stored in the same area.
Today we have Hitachi's 250GB Travelstar 5400RPM hard disk designed as an upgrade for notebooks or as an add-in for servers using 2.5" drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance