In The Box
For those unfamiliar with this type of device, it is a means to make use of that extra hard drive sitting on a shelf and by allowing you to hook it up as an external hard drive. This can be done through several different methods and the new drive will show up as a new drive letter. If you already have data on this spare drive when you hook it up, that data will still be present when you attach it.
While there isn't anything in the box that you don't need, there is all cabling necessary to use any of the supported connection methods. This includes USB, eSATA and both varieties of IEEE1394 Firewire. It is not uncommon for some devices to leave out some of the cabling included, so having everything in one convenient package is a nice feature.
The enclosure housing comes in two available colors, silver and black. Unlike many similar products being offered, the stand on this unit is screwed into place from the factory. It also has rubber pads on the base of all four legs to make certain you do not damage the surface it sits on. For those who simply do not want this stand, you can simply remove four small screws and remove it.
The housing is brushed aluminum so will be very lightweight. You will not need to worry about it being too flimsy, however, since the weight of the installed hard drive will keep this unit sitting firmly in place.
The front edge of the housing is ventilated to allow for air to move through the enclosure, but there are no active fans. This is an excellent item for those who are looking for something quiet. The only noise you will hear is when the platters spin up on the drive. Of course, no active cooling means that you may want to use care if using a high-speed hard drive. In out testing I used a 7200RPM drive and had no heat issues at all.
Turning the unit around shows the connection options. As noted earlier, all cabling is included so you will be ready to use your extra storage space regardless of the method you want to make use of to access it. You will also notice there are a pair of Firewire 800 ports so you can daisy chain your devices with no problems.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Hollywood to rent movies, 2 weeks after they hit cinemas
- Join the 'Suicide Squad' in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Netflix will double original show content in 2017
- Nashville moves to dismiss Comcast anti-Fiber lawsuit
- Amazon Go: Grocery shopping with no cash, no lines
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand