Test System Setup
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz (333MHz x 9)
Motherboard(s): GIGABYTE X48-DQ6 (Supplied by GIGABYTE)
Memory: 2 X 1GB Kingston PC6400 DDR-2 3-3-3-10 (KHX6400D2ULK2/2G) (Supplied by Kingston)
Hard Disk(s): Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA-2 7200.10 (Supplied by Seagate)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Vista SP1
Drivers: Catalyst 8.1, Forceware 174.11 (9600GT Win XP), Forceware 171.16 (9600GT Win Vista), Forceware 169.21 (8800GT Win XP) and Forceware 169.25 (8800GT Win Vista)
The test bed has gone through a complete overhaul recently, hence the reason for the slight delay between graphics card reviews. Fortunately it's now up and running faster than ever!
While the CPU has remained the same we have moved over to a PCI Express 2.0 motherboard with two PCI Express x16 slots in the form of the new GIGABYTE X48-DQ6. We've also moved back to DDR2, not for any particular reason except that ultimately there really is very little difference and most people are still using it. With that said though, we're using some nice low latency Kingston modules.
While we were at it we thought we may as well upgrade the hard drives to some new 7200.10 Seagate ones.
We've done a whole lot with the testing side of things as well; we have now made Vista our primary operating system, but we do realize that a number of people still use Windows XP so we've continued to include a number of benchmarks under that operating system.
Then there is of course the benchmarks themselves, there are more than ever now :-
3DMark05, F.E.A.R, Episode One, Prey, Company of Heroes, Call of Juarez and Lost Planet are all gone. Taking their place is CINEBENCH R10, PT Boats, Crysis, Unreal Tournament, Episode Two and Quake Wars. 3DMark08 (Vantage) will also make an appearance once it's released.
That covers just about everything related to the new test bed. Today we'll be comparing the 9600GT against the 8800GT and HD 3870, so let's not delay and get straight into it.
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 110
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark06/
3DMark06 is the very latest version of the "Gamers Benchmark" from FutureMark. The newest version of 3DMark expands on the tests in 3DMark05 by adding graphical effects using Shader Model 3.0 and HDR (High Dynamic Range lighting) which will push even the best DX9 graphics cards to the extremes.
3DMark06 also focuses on not just the GPU but the CPU using the AGEIA PhysX software physics library to effectively test single and Dual Core processors.
Straight off the mark we can see the 9600GT manages to perform quite well when compared to some of the current high-end cards. At the lowest resolution it manages to beat out the HD 3870, but as we climb up in the resolution department it manages to drop back a little.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode Two HDR)]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 12 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode Two HDR) - XP]
- Page 18 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Further Reading: Read and find more Video Cards content at our Video Cards reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- This $70,000 customized Apple Watch is packed full of diamonds
- The FCC passes Net Neutrality, the strongest set of rules yet
- The drama llama strikes again - massive llama chase in the US unfolds
- Study: Gamers buy PlayStation 4 for graphics, Xbox One for brand
- Kaspersky: 28% of mobile users don't have knowledge of malware attacks
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard
- "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse
- Intel Revives the Atom Brand with New Branding Levels
- Thermaltake Announces Riing 12 and 14 LED Radiator Fan Series