MSI's BIOS of choice is AMI Megatends' AMI BIOS interface which has been used by them for quite some time. AMI BIOS has managed to really pull out all the stops in recent times to create a BIOS interface that is easy to use as well as giving a familiar feel; after all, Award has been around for ages and is the most used BIOS out there. For the overclocking features you need to go to the Cell Menu section.
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: 200 - 800 in 1MHz Increments
Adjust PCIE Frequency: 100 - 200 in 1MHz Increments
Adjust PCI Frequcney: 33.3MHz, 33.6MHz, 37.2MHz, 42MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.3250v to 2.1v in 0.0125v increments
Memory Voltage: 1.5v to 2.75v in 0.05v Increments
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.2v to 1.44v in various increments
NB Voltage: 1.25v to 1.83v in various increments
SB Voltage: 1.5v to 1.83v in various increments
Well, all we could say was "Wow!" when it came to overclocking this board. So far we have only tested the X48 DDR2 variant, and with the extra headroom that DDR3 offers we hoped to get a better bus speed. Here we managed to get 558MHz out of the board, and while it still hasn't matched the 580MHz we have hit with the P35 and DDR3, it's a great start for X48 and DDR3. Even X38 and DDR3 hasn't managed to get this far. Intel's hand picking seems to be helping here.
Important Editor Note:Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking, or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 2142]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' trailer actually looks kinda fun
- Sony developing smart contact lenses with life recording
- Hitman patch lets DirectX 12 users play again
- Apple Music rumored to receive interface overhaul this summer
- Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC might have underwater exploration
- GA-EX58-UD3R won't post
- Creative iRoar Intelligent Bluetooth Speaker Review
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience