Package and Contents
Starting our review off we come to the package and contents that are included with the board itself. MSI's X48 Platinum comes in one of their standard boxes with the X48 Platinum logo on the front and some basic info on the chipset used, CPU support and memory support.
On the back of the box there is a full colour photo of the board with quite a bit more on the general features including some of the additional features that the board has such as Firewire, an extra PCI Express graphics slot, memory support and storage interface support.
MSI's documentation supplied with the board is enough to get you off the ground; the main user manual is reasonably thick with info on the board layout, then there's the quick install manual which gives you the basic layout of the board so if you want to get straight into installing the board you can do it easily.
Rather than a single DVD with both XP and Vista drivers, MSI gives you two separate CDs; one has Vista drivers and one has XP drivers. The XP CD contains drivers for both 32 and 64-bit versions of XP as does the Vista CD with 32 and 64-bit support.
Moving along to the cable bundle MSI gives you four Serial ATA data cables and two SATA power splitters. The ribbon cables supplied are a single FDD cable that hosts one floppy drive and a single IDE cable that can host two drives.
Thanks to the X38 chipset Crossfire support now goes full speed, that's twin PCIE x16 slots. Unfortunately due to the spacing setup that the MSI board has between the PCI Express x16 slots, the internal Crossfire bridge cables are not usable. To this end MSI has given you two extra length Crossfire bridge cables; a big plus for MSI.
Like ASUS, MSI has gone to using block installers that allow you to connect the case headers, onboard USB ports and Firewire ports to the ATX case cables on blocks that can then be simply plugged into the board.
Lastly we come to the Rear I/O shield and the PCI cover bracket that is included which gives you a single 6-pin Firewire port and two USB 2.0 ports.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 2142]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blompkamp's 'Alien' sequel won't 'see the light of day'
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives