With the package out the way it's time to move onto the card and straight away we can see the inclusion of the new cooler that Palit has decided to use. Using a blue colored aluminum, the cooler feels excellent and is up to the normal high grade that we have become accustom to from Palit.
Due to the design not covering the whole card, Palit have also placed a heatsink towards the back right of the card to cover some of the hotter components. We can also see the plate in the background that covers the memory which is nice; it is so often that we see companies just chuck a heatsink on the core and not worry about any of the other components.
As you would expect, we have the standard PCI Express power connector which is a lot more visible this time around thanks to it not being covered under a bit of the heatsink fan cover as normal. We can also see a closer look at the heatsink that is down the back of the card.
The top of the card also has the standard SLI connector like all other 8800GT cards, and here we can also see a better look of how the plate covers the memory to help keep all components on the card cool.
Finally we move over to the I/O department of things and we have with us our Dual DVI ports which of course support up to a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600 thanks to their Dual Link connectivity, along with the standard TV Out port.
What we can also see here is that the card is now a dual slot one as opposed to all the other 8800GT cards we have seen which use the standard single slot heatsink. It's not really a huge deal with so many people becoming used to the idea of a decent video card taking up two slots, and if it helps keep both the noise and the temperature down when compared to the stock 8800GT then it's worth it as far as we're concerned.
Like we had mentioned earlier, this particular card carries the Sonic name which tells us hat it comes pre-overclocked out of the box. Palit hasn't gone too crazy with the speeds and has chosen to simply bump the core up to 650MHz over the standard 600MHz, with the memory moving up to 1900MHz DDR over the standard 1800MHz DDR. The shader clock has also taken an increase thanks to the core going up which moves it from 1500MHz to 1650MHz.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20