It wasn't until the end that we finally saw the value in the GIGABYTE 3870 with Zalman cooling. Really there's no reason that it should be any faster than a stock clocked card. The improvements it has should make it more efficient, which it certainly is. Asking for an extra 1000 3DMarks isn't what this card is about.
While we didn't see the full package we do know that it comes with Neverwinter Nights 2 which is a nice addition, and also that the box follows a NWN2 theme on it which looks very funky as well.
We also see the mention of Ultra Durable 2 components and of course the Zalman cooling solution. While we can only guess on what else is inside the package, no doubt it will be the standard DVI to VGA connectors, Molex to PCI Express connector, Component Out cables along with your manual and driver CD. It really should be a nice little card to own if you're having a hunt for the 3870.
The only real problem we can see with the card is at the moment the 3870 has the jump on the 8800GT in the price department. It's a little bit cheaper than the 8800GT and it's a little bit slower most of the time. If the price premium on the GIGABYTE is too great and puts us into 8800GT territory then it's going to be hard to buy the card from a performance perspective.
With that said though, if you're running a smaller box then you don't want something that draws so much power and heats things up considerably. If you're simply after a performance card that is extremely quiet then this could be the card to get.
GIGABYTE has done a great job with the 3870 and clearly it took them an extra few weeks to get their own model under way as we know the 3870 has been out for a little bit now. While stock hasn't shown up we don't doubt it will be far away, but it could pop up in Australia a little too late to get in before Christmas.
Hopefully we see GIGABYTE push their Ultra Durable 2 technology onto more graphics cards in the near future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 10 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG announces X300, an entry-level smartphone
- Valve's future games might beam directly into your brain
- Gabe Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's best single-player game
- Resident Evil 7 will enjoy free DLC chapter post-launch
- Gabe on Half-Life 3: 'the number 3 must not be said'
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99