It wasn't until the end that we finally saw the value in the GIGABYTE 3870 with Zalman cooling. Really there's no reason that it should be any faster than a stock clocked card. The improvements it has should make it more efficient, which it certainly is. Asking for an extra 1000 3DMarks isn't what this card is about.
While we didn't see the full package we do know that it comes with Neverwinter Nights 2 which is a nice addition, and also that the box follows a NWN2 theme on it which looks very funky as well.
We also see the mention of Ultra Durable 2 components and of course the Zalman cooling solution. While we can only guess on what else is inside the package, no doubt it will be the standard DVI to VGA connectors, Molex to PCI Express connector, Component Out cables along with your manual and driver CD. It really should be a nice little card to own if you're having a hunt for the 3870.
The only real problem we can see with the card is at the moment the 3870 has the jump on the 8800GT in the price department. It's a little bit cheaper than the 8800GT and it's a little bit slower most of the time. If the price premium on the GIGABYTE is too great and puts us into 8800GT territory then it's going to be hard to buy the card from a performance perspective.
With that said though, if you're running a smaller box then you don't want something that draws so much power and heats things up considerably. If you're simply after a performance card that is extremely quiet then this could be the card to get.
GIGABYTE has done a great job with the 3870 and clearly it took them an extra few weeks to get their own model under way as we know the 3870 has been out for a little bit now. While stock hasn't shown up we don't doubt it will be far away, but it could pop up in Australia a little too late to get in before Christmas.
Hopefully we see GIGABYTE push their Ultra Durable 2 technology onto more graphics cards in the near future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 10 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung making next-gen 4K mobile displays with 800PPI
- HIS roars, launches their Radeon RX 500 series cards
- Intel launching 12C/24T chips with X299 on May 30
- GTA V is teaching autonomous cars how to drive
- Twitch plans to rope YouTubers with new tip system
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray Review
- Promise Technology Apollo Cloud 2TB Review
- HDD is going bad. Best way to transfer to new HDD?
- Phanteks EVOLV MATX Micro-Tower Chassis Review
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club
- Nokia announces next-generation technologies for the advancement of virtual reality with 'OZO Reality' vision and partner ecosystem
- Razer expands the Razer Hammerhead v2 in-ear audio line with Bluetooth and iOS Lightning models
- MSI announces new thin and light GP62X and GP72X Leopard Pro Series gaming laptops
- EK is releasing Full-Cover water blocks for the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti