The newest Volcano is here and it's a good one. Though I had problems with the variable speed fan, the design still proved itself to be effective and still maintain a stylish look. With more and more people going to a windowed case, good looks is playing a vital role in the sales of heatsinks. It's good to see that you can have a good looking cooler and also receive a respectable amount of actual cooling.
As stated earlier, though, if you have a lot of case cooling, then you might want to consider getting yourself a fan that doesn't change speeds on you. While the concept is very interesting, the high rate of air moving throughout the case won't allow it to heat up enough to activate the fan's higher rates of speed. It will, however, work well in a normally vented case. When I turned off some of the fannage running within my case, I was able to reach the better cooling capabilities of the fan.
Bottom line...If you're building a new system and want a heatsink that looks cool and can also keep your system at an acceptable temperature, then check out the Volcano7 HSF. It is an effective cooler and costs about US$10 less than the Alpha sink that was used as a comparison (and that's an Alpha without a fan).
Very smooth base
Lot of case airflow impedes the variable fan
Rating - 9/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve partners with Bitpay, with Bitcoin support now on Steam
- Intel no longer defines itself as a PC company, thinking more broadly
- Weekly Giveaway: Win a ZOTAC SONIX PCIe 480GB SSD (Global Entry!)
- Facebook, Messenger, Instagram apps debut on Windows 10
- Fallout 4 Steam patch adds Survival difficulty, improves performance
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- 1MORE Swarovski Crystal Piston Earphones Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched