The newest Volcano is here and it's a good one. Though I had problems with the variable speed fan, the design still proved itself to be effective and still maintain a stylish look. With more and more people going to a windowed case, good looks is playing a vital role in the sales of heatsinks. It's good to see that you can have a good looking cooler and also receive a respectable amount of actual cooling.
As stated earlier, though, if you have a lot of case cooling, then you might want to consider getting yourself a fan that doesn't change speeds on you. While the concept is very interesting, the high rate of air moving throughout the case won't allow it to heat up enough to activate the fan's higher rates of speed. It will, however, work well in a normally vented case. When I turned off some of the fannage running within my case, I was able to reach the better cooling capabilities of the fan.
Bottom line...If you're building a new system and want a heatsink that looks cool and can also keep your system at an acceptable temperature, then check out the Volcano7 HSF. It is an effective cooler and costs about US$10 less than the Alpha sink that was used as a comparison (and that's an Alpha without a fan).
Very smooth base
Lot of case airflow impedes the variable fan
Rating - 9/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- We Heard You Like Discounts
- Acer's new 10-core smartphone will 'dominate' Android gaming
- The first big patch for Windows 10 is coming soon
- Rocket League patch will let you filter out PS4 users on the PC
- BBC's Grand Theft Auto TV movie 'The Gamechangers' trailer arrives
- Does my motherbord support this RAM ?
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015