The Low End of Things
First, a word about Kevlar; Kevlar has been found to have useful acoustic properties for loudspeaker cones, specifically for bass and mid-range drive units.
There are three grades of Kevlar; Kevlar, Kevlar 29 and Kevlar 49. Typically, Kevlar is used as reinforcement in tyres and rubber mechanical goods.
From the perspective of the 3.5" full range cone used, things are really quite good with again not a hint of distortion at the highest of volumes. This is really good to see from a product not costing an arm full.
For the testing of lower-mid and upper bass frequencies, any sort of good percussion music is usually a good start. I enjoyed the way these speakers imaged the often hard to cope with range between 1-5KHz which can be a real pain in the neck for designers of smaller systems because quite simply there must be some compromise between good high-end and muddy bass due to the work required by the bass unit.
On the whole though, I found myself engaged in the drums and percussion; though as I felt in my initial testing still found it a little sterile towards the timber of the sound, perhaps just lacking a little warmth which can really mask a lot of shortfalls of drivers. The subwoofer's enclosure itself is a nice unit which as stated earlier just lacks that slightly larger 8" driver to duck under 50Hz which makes a lot more of a visceral experience with regularity, leaving subs with smaller drivers....well....not really feeling like they are fulfilling the purpose they were intended to. However this is a topic that's been raised constantly by myself so I will not harp on.
Overall, the subwoofer is a sturdy unit that does not sound overly boomy when taken to the limits, but it just lacks real low end punch. So in this department my only really complaint is lack of mid-range warmth and the ability to extend below 50Hz; all in all not a bad day at the track though.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Call of Duty rumored to see a third-person Modern Warfare release
- Nokia unveils its new OZO virtual reality camera, priced at $60,000
- Apple expected to launch even thinner MacBook Air models next year
- New 'Batman V Superman' teaser revels in animosity
- USB-C connector updated with Intel's Thunderbolt 3 transfer protocol
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- [ASROCK A75 PRO4] What should my next step be?
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- Synthesio Announces Janet Megdadi As Chief Revenue Officer
- Polk BOOM Adds to Ready 4 Anything Speaker Family with New Swimmer Duo and Swimmer Jr.
- Viper SmartStart 4.0 Now Lets You Control Your Car from Your Wrist
- Gemalto Payment HSM Supports Cloud Tokenization Requirements for Secure Mobile Payment Transactions and Digitization of Credit Card Credentials
- ALL-METAL LG ZERO BRINGS TOGETHER LUXURIOUS DESIGN WITH BEST CAMERA TECHNOLOGY