"Albatron Introduce Blue Ray decoder card!" - This is what I saw sitting up the top of the TweakTown news one day. Steve our news guy does a fantastic job of the news but I noticed a little error in his title, it's Blu-ray not Blue Ray, and nothing annoys me more than people saying the latter. Before I hand out an ear bashing to him though, I thought it's worth having a look at this "Blue Ray Decoder" card and to my shock no mistake was made on our end. Albatron decided to go with Blue Ray.
While I was running around in circles throwing my arms in the air going "WTF!", it really dawned on me that while a lot of people have probably heard of Blu-ray they possibly haven't seen logos or really acknowledged the spelling of it; so Albatron can turn around, throw the word "Blu-ray" into the mix and deliberately misspell it 'Blue Ray', not having to worry about Sony or the other creators of Blu-ray coming down on them like a ton of bricks.
Everything becomes a little clearer as you read the press release though; this Blue Ray Decoder Card is basically just a poor performing video card with HD processing capabilities. You say "OMG, that's just mean", but I say "I want the Albatron marketing team." This could be the greatest marketing idea ever!
Well, that was until we got our hands on it. Let's move forward and check out the whole story behind this "Decoder Card".
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- OWC Introduces 3TB Mercury Elite Pro External Storage
- Raijintek Atlantis Line of DIY Watercooling Products Now Available
- EVGA Announces the 'Bullets or Blades' Bundle
- Seagate Completes Acquisition of Dot Hill Systems
- Be Quiet! Announces Silent Base 600 Case Series