"Albatron Introduce Blue Ray decoder card!" - This is what I saw sitting up the top of the TweakTown news one day. Steve our news guy does a fantastic job of the news but I noticed a little error in his title, it's Blu-ray not Blue Ray, and nothing annoys me more than people saying the latter. Before I hand out an ear bashing to him though, I thought it's worth having a look at this "Blue Ray Decoder" card and to my shock no mistake was made on our end. Albatron decided to go with Blue Ray.
While I was running around in circles throwing my arms in the air going "WTF!", it really dawned on me that while a lot of people have probably heard of Blu-ray they possibly haven't seen logos or really acknowledged the spelling of it; so Albatron can turn around, throw the word "Blu-ray" into the mix and deliberately misspell it 'Blue Ray', not having to worry about Sony or the other creators of Blu-ray coming down on them like a ton of bricks.
Everything becomes a little clearer as you read the press release though; this Blue Ray Decoder Card is basically just a poor performing video card with HD processing capabilities. You say "OMG, that's just mean", but I say "I want the Albatron marketing team." This could be the greatest marketing idea ever!
Well, that was until we got our hands on it. Let's move forward and check out the whole story behind this "Decoder Card".
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni