There's no doubt that overclocking tends to help a graphics card, and with the amount of pressure today's games place on the PCI Express based card small overclocks do tend to show us some significant gains.
We did a bit of overclocking on the ASUS 8800GT and it seemed to hit the same wall as the MSI one which was 660MHz on the core and 1900MHz DDR on the memory. It will be interesting to see how the TOP card from ASUS goes in the near future, this coming with clockspeeds of 700MHz/2000MHz DDR.
Maybe the 8800GT got off to a bit of an unfair start; we did compare an overclocked card to stock HD 2900 offerings initially. However, it's safe to say that with the numbers being pulled here today from the stock clocked ASUS card, our initial judgment of the card being a great performer is well justified.
It doesn't come without its flaws though, we would have liked to see ASUS venture to a different cooler because in a word the current one is just CRAP and runs way too hot. Availability also isn't the best for the 8800GT. With that said though, ASUS tend to be more expensive and if you're willing to stretch the dollar you can generally find one by poking around the online stores a bit.
The card continues to tick all the right boxes, but how long it will last is anyone's guess at the moment. With new cards coming like the G92 based 8800GTS and others set for a January/February release, it's pretty unsettling at the moment.
With all of that said though, if you have some time off over Christmas and want to get into some gaming, the 8800GT is going to be a great bang for buck card and with the disappointment that was the Catalyst 7.11 drivers the 8800GT will probably continue to stay on top of the to buy list.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- iPhone 6S to feature upgraded 4K-capable rear-facing camera, and more
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Razer launches new Nabu smartband wearable during PAX Prime
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20