Western Digital's hard disks are pretty stock standard when it comes to appearance. The Raptor series of drives were the only exception with a clear top cover for eye candy purposes only. The RE2 or RAID Edition 2 drive is designed to be used in systems or storage enclosures that will be using the RAID environments, these usually stacked so there is no need for a clear top, it would just be wasted money here.
The top of the drive gives you some basic information on the drive itself including the model number, voltage specs and interface plug-in setup as well as a brief explanation of what the jumpers at the rear of the drive are for.
The underside of the drive is completely bare. Western Digital sandwiches the memory clip, interface control chip and all the various resistors, capacitors and what not between the top of the PCB and the bottom of the drive cover. This comes in handy as there is nothing shorting out on the bottom if you have to have the drives in close proximity to each other.
Our last shot of the drive is at the back with the power and interface cable. Being classed as an Enterprise series drive, Western Digital has put only a single power connector on the PCB. Normally you get a 4-pin Molex and SATA power connector on the drive so you can determine what power interface you want to use if your PSU doesn't have any extra SATA power cables. Here you need SATA or it's a no go unless you have Molex-to-SATA converters.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Lucasfilm denies CG Princess Leia plan for 'Star Wars 9'
- Take home 'Pete's Dragon' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Putting Nintendo Switch launch games into perspective
- 'Stranger Things' director talks bigger, darker season 2
- Samsung's new Galaxy S8 looks amazing in leaked videos
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99
- ESL One returns to Southeast Asia to kick-off world class Dota 2 action in 2017