OCZ's XMP modules while quite fast really don't bring anything more than a few extra points to the table in terms their performance. While it may be nice for some users not to have to worry about overclocking the memory manually, this is where we managed to get higher clock speeds. When we went over the 1600MHz barrier with the XMP enabled, it seemed as if the system wanted to keep the timings too low and resulted in BIOS stalls and OS boot failures.
XMP is just another term for the EPP and SLI memory that NVIDIA uses, and really, how many people actually use this stuff? I don't because it really does restrict overclocking abilities. Yes fair enough if you don't have time to do it manually which is ok for the more novice crowd, but consider this - Who is going to be using an X38 motherboard in their system? Most probably extreme users who have more than the basic knowledge on overclocking and how to set their own systems up.
Overall the overclocking was good, performance was high, and the ability to sit back and let the memory do its own work in conjunction with X38 is nice. However, a bit more work could be done for speeds well above the 1600MHz line to give it lower latencies and higher voltages to accept true overclocking, not just lowering latencies.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft Paint killed off with new Creators Update
- The new iPhone 8 might be all about AR
- Apple sued by insurance company for alleged iPhone fire
- You can now get Xiaomi Mi 6 with 9,000 mAh battery
- Note8 color options leak: Samsung to introduce Deep Blue
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Lian-Li DK02 Watercooling and dimensions
- ASUS X200 CA 1.0 should camera appear in system in control panel?
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4