OCZ's XMP modules while quite fast really don't bring anything more than a few extra points to the table in terms their performance. While it may be nice for some users not to have to worry about overclocking the memory manually, this is where we managed to get higher clock speeds. When we went over the 1600MHz barrier with the XMP enabled, it seemed as if the system wanted to keep the timings too low and resulted in BIOS stalls and OS boot failures.
XMP is just another term for the EPP and SLI memory that NVIDIA uses, and really, how many people actually use this stuff? I don't because it really does restrict overclocking abilities. Yes fair enough if you don't have time to do it manually which is ok for the more novice crowd, but consider this - Who is going to be using an X38 motherboard in their system? Most probably extreme users who have more than the basic knowledge on overclocking and how to set their own systems up.
Overall the overclocking was good, performance was high, and the ability to sit back and let the memory do its own work in conjunction with X38 is nice. However, a bit more work could be done for speeds well above the 1600MHz line to give it lower latencies and higher voltages to accept true overclocking, not just lowering latencies.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PS4 Pro upgrades of PS4 games take no effort, says Sony
- New Moto Racer 4 gameplay trailer revealed
- Skyrim hasn't yet been confirmed for the Nintendo Switch
- Blizzard announces a new voice chat app for desktops
- NVIDIA's new GeForce 375.57 drivers are ready for BF1
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system