Features Overview (continued)
ASUS Smartcard Memory Connectors
Along with all the other innovative features on this board, ASUS has added yet another; support for ASUS Smartmedia Memory Card Reader/Writer Unit. This feature was first seen on the ASUS CUSL2-C Black Pearl motherboard. The two slots shown above connect to the Smartcard reader (available separately from ASUS) to communicate with the onboard memory card reader. The reader supports CompactFlash and SmartMedia memory cards. These two medias are the most commonly used flash cards for digital cameras and PDA's.
Oh no! Not a good sign
Now this can't be good; a soldered-on BIOS chip! This was our major gripe with this board because if you flash the BIOS wrong, there is no way to do the hotflash fix. So be very careful when flashing the BIOS of this board.
Just like any other ASUS board, the P4B is designed for the OEM or the Overclocker. Supporting a 1x10 bank of dipswitches, you can set your multiplier and FSB by hardware rather than software. This feature is mostly for the OEM and system integrators as it only has a very limited FSB setting range. BIOS settings are where the true strengths come in to play. For those of you will unlocked CPU's, you can change your multiplier from 14x up to 23x; plenty of room there. FSB is adjustable to 200MHz in 1MHz increments. We got a max of 133Mhz out of this, but we didn't have a CPU that could take anymore FSB speeds than that, but still not a bad overclock. Vcore is adjustable from 1.45v up to 1.85v, and VIO is changeable from 3.3v to 3.5v.
One think i must say for Intel, they did get their socket layout very well designed. Using a large plastic retention mechanism for the mPGA 478, it is one of the best designs I have ever seen. Not only does the CPU have its own heat spreader, but the heatsink looks like something that would cool an industrial water pump. Intel has really gone full throttle in regards to keeping their P4 cool and the die crush free.
ASUS has included a couple of little extras for your expansion pleasure. Along with the standard 2-port USB bracket that is included with just about every ASUS motherboard, they have also included a SPDIF/Optical out expansion port for connection to digital audio media.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Xbox Wireless adapter lets you use Xbox One controller on Windows 10
- Facebook testing new video features
- Six new images show off Surface Pro 4 from every angle
- Save 97% On the Ultimate Data & Analytics Bundle
- Transition between zones 'is seamless' in The Division
- Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta GPU Performance Overview
- ASUS ZenBook Pro - ram
- Open Hour Gecko TV Box Review
- z87 killer no display after new installation ((URGENT))
- Z170 Raid Setup Post Win7x64 Install to M.2
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the NEW CRONOS AD Premium Gaming Headset
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASUSTOR Launches 31 Series, Economical and Powerful 4K Multimedia NAS