We had no doubt that NVIDIA was going to bring something to the party to battle the HD 2900 PRO but we didn't think it was going to be a new card. We thought maybe a few tweaks here and there in the drivers would be done but instead they decide to drop the bombshell that is the 8800GT.
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the 8800GT rumors until official word came from NVIDIA due to the plain fact that lately there has been so many false rumors about video card models coming and going that you simply don't know what to believe.
The 8800GT is here though and we're going to see stock at the beginning of next week all around the world .which is more than we can say for the HD 2900 PRO which impressed us a great deal.
*pauses to head over to local price search engine site*
"search: HD 2900 PRO (no items were found)"
This is really disappointing as the HD 2900 PRO really impressed us, and word from multiple places was that stock was only going to be a week or two away. The 8800GT on the other hand we know is already in the country ready to be shipped come Monday.
While we have the 512MB model with us today there is also a 256MB model that was supposed to be launched, and if samples arrived on time we would have that for you here, but that wasn't to be.
There's no point dwelling on all this negativity though, so let's have a look what MSI have managed to do with the 8800GT along with answering the simple question, "What the hell is the 8800GT?"
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives