We had no doubt that NVIDIA was going to bring something to the party to battle the HD 2900 PRO but we didn't think it was going to be a new card. We thought maybe a few tweaks here and there in the drivers would be done but instead they decide to drop the bombshell that is the 8800GT.
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the 8800GT rumors until official word came from NVIDIA due to the plain fact that lately there has been so many false rumors about video card models coming and going that you simply don't know what to believe.
The 8800GT is here though and we're going to see stock at the beginning of next week all around the world .which is more than we can say for the HD 2900 PRO which impressed us a great deal.
*pauses to head over to local price search engine site*
"search: HD 2900 PRO (no items were found)"
This is really disappointing as the HD 2900 PRO really impressed us, and word from multiple places was that stock was only going to be a week or two away. The 8800GT on the other hand we know is already in the country ready to be shipped come Monday.
While we have the 512MB model with us today there is also a 256MB model that was supposed to be launched, and if samples arrived on time we would have that for you here, but that wasn't to be.
There's no point dwelling on all this negativity though, so let's have a look what MSI have managed to do with the 8800GT along with answering the simple question, "What the hell is the 8800GT?"
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei officially announces Honor V9
- Nintendo unboxes the Nintendo Switch
- NieR: Automata PC release date 'accidentally' revealed
- Nintendo Switch launch game exceeds console's storage
- AMD will dominate the mid-range with Ryzen 7 1700X
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood