Info about the chipset
This UMPC runs off a VIA technologies C7-M processing unit clocked at 1GHz in full swing. The technology integrated within the chip is supposed to be very ecologically friendly and competes directly with the Pentium M (Centrino chipset platform) segment of the market. This unique offering from VIA is supposed to deliver a more heat efficient solution to anything else the market has to offer.
VIA have deliberately focused on power management and heat economy in this VX700 chipset through various ingenious power saving technical methodologies which they have built into their design. One of the included technologies is a dynamic clock gating control on functional blocks to turn off parts of the chip not in use. In addition to that there is support for the latest power management specifications including ACPI 3.0 and APM v1.2 as well as support for CPU clock throttling and clock stop during ACPI C2/C3/C4 reduced activity states.
Furthermore, there is support for multiple system suspend types, all with automatic hardware wake-up. The other features are fairly common and include Power-on Suspend (POS) with flexible CPU/PCI bus reset options, Suspend to DRAM (STR) and Suspend to Disk (soft-off). Essentially this system is perfect for a small, unobtrusive device such as a UMPC.
Looking through some interesting diagrams courtesy of VIA, we were able to see that the C7-M integrates with a single solution chipset called the VIA VX700 IGP, this designed to take the place of the double chipset platform which is traditionally made up of a northbridge and southbridge.
This all-in-one VIA solution from the chipset to CPU incorporates the 8 channel Vinyl HD Audio capability and the UniChrome Pro II graphics core. The DDR or DDR2 memory controller (depending on the configuration) has two DIMM slots. The GIGABYTE U60 has the two slots configured for DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300 and shares the memory with the VGA display. The chipset supports four PCI devices, six USB 2.0 connections as well as the usual mouse/keyboard capabilities.
In addition, GIGABYTE has enabled many wireless devices such as Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) and Wi-Fi making this UMPC ultra portable, ultra connectable and ultra impressive. Add on the docking station, digital TV Tuner and GPS modules and there is suddenly very little that this machine cannot do.
Check out the full specifications listing here:-
The VX700 single solution chipset gives off a Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 3.5Watts and really halves the real estate needed on the platform. With a low wattage TDP signature, low power consumption and even better; a device that can fit easily and lightly (weight -740g) into one's bag or jacket pocket, the UMPC is set to be very popular indeed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft loves PC gaming, no HDR support in Halo Wars 2
- Pentium G4560 costs $64, fights Core i5-2500K at $270
- Modified Tesla Model S goes from 0-100 in 2.1 seconds
- Airbus wants to start testing flying cars this year
- Pokemon GO generated an insane $950 million in 2016
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99