Usage Testing - Speed Testing
Now that we are done looking at the CM, let's move onto probably one of the more exciting aspects of the review - speed testing!
After minimal tweaking (placing the antenna very close to our office window - in fact, it was sitting in the window seal from the eleventh floor of our building), we did some speed testing to see exactly what we could get out of the C100 and Chung Hwa Telecom HSDPA service here in Taiwan.
We used a local Taiwan internet speed tester from Anet to measure attainable download speeds and were very pleased with the results. As you can see from the results above, we managed to hit a little over 1.5Mbps (or 189.2KB/s) which is about what we expected.
According to the CM, it peaked at 1.8Mbps (or 230KB/s) at some point but 1.5Mbps is not too bad for an internet connection on the move - surely fast enough to perform most tasks and it is important to remember it is as fast (if not faster) than standard ADSL fixed line phone connections.
Keep in mind, this is not to say the BandRich C100 is limited to this speed - we have tested with other HSDPA devices such as the UBiQUiO 503G mobile phone using the same SIM card in the same location and we saw similar results. In fact, the 503G only managed to attain 1.1Mbps over its Windows Mobile 6 internet sharing program via USB.
Depending on where you are located and what your phone company provides (and what time you are using the connection), you will see faster or slower download speeds including 7.2Mbps, 3.6Mbps, 1.8Mbps (this seems to be what the Taipei network is limited to at the moment), 1.2Mbps or 384Kbps. Upload speeds are capped at a maximum of up to 384Kbps.
The above is a handy screenshot of everything in action when downloading from a local server, it was reaching 183KB/s which really is not too shabby. It is not the 1024KB/s we sometimes see from our ADSL2 connection but if you were out and about and away from home or office, it is better than 56k dial-up or no Internet connection at all. Click on the image for a larger version!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Horizon Zero Dawn: solid 30FPS on the PS4 Pro
- AMD Ryzen explained: motherboards, CPUs, and more
- SpaceX successfully lands another Falcon 9 rocket
- Nintendo Switch teardown teases massive 4310mAh battery
- Mass Effect Andromeda's latest gameplay video is here
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- Looking for help overclocking a GA-EP43-UD3L
- I5 6600k OC settings.. aorus z270
- ASUS K55VM (LAPTOP A55VM) can't control fan speed for myself
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Republic of Gamers announces Strix Impact