Since most of the heatsinks coming out are designed for higher spec systems, I have forgone the 1000MHz and 1100MHz tests. This will allow us to concentrate on whether or not the sink can perform up to today's standard levels. After all, with the budget systems coming in at 1.2GHz and higher, it's time to set the mark just a bit higher in our heatsink comparisons.
That said, here is the test system that we are working with:
Antec SX1030 Tower Case w/ 170-CFM Airflow
AMD Thunderbird 1000 @ 1333 (AVIA)
256MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM
IBM GXP60 40GB Hard Drive
Prolink XX-Player GeForce3
Arctic Silver II
The core voltage of the processor is set to 1.8v, and memory is set to the standard 3.3v. Ambient air temperature was sitting at 21C and didn't fluctuate during testing. Processor speed was firmly at 1333MHz, which puts out about 73.6 watts of heat.
Testing will consist of measuring the temperatures at idle, after a Quake III Arena Deathmatch, and after a continuous looping of 3dMark2001. These are the main types of stresses that today's systems face, so we'll concentrate on them.
So how did the Alpha perform under pressure? Let's find out
OK, let's see what we have here. A heatsink that performs at nearly the same level as the Gladiator, but doesn't knock the paint off the walls because of the high noise levels. I think that may be a satisfactory tradeoff for having to remove the motherboard to install it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- EVGA's new GeForce GTX 1080 features ACX 3.0 cooling, and more
- Colorful's new iGame GeForce GTX 1080 has stock GPU clock of 1.84GHz
- NBC announces it will air Rio Olympics in 4K, HDR and even Dolby Atmos
- 360 million MySpace passwords can be purchased for just $2,800
- No Man's Sky officially delayed until August, for VR support?
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles