Since most of the heatsinks coming out are designed for higher spec systems, I have forgone the 1000MHz and 1100MHz tests. This will allow us to concentrate on whether or not the sink can perform up to today's standard levels. After all, with the budget systems coming in at 1.2GHz and higher, it's time to set the mark just a bit higher in our heatsink comparisons.
That said, here is the test system that we are working with:
Antec SX1030 Tower Case w/ 170-CFM Airflow
AMD Thunderbird 1000 @ 1333 (AVIA)
256MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM
IBM GXP60 40GB Hard Drive
Prolink XX-Player GeForce3
Arctic Silver II
The core voltage of the processor is set to 1.8v, and memory is set to the standard 3.3v. Ambient air temperature was sitting at 21C and didn't fluctuate during testing. Processor speed was firmly at 1333MHz, which puts out about 73.6 watts of heat.
Testing will consist of measuring the temperatures at idle, after a Quake III Arena Deathmatch, and after a continuous looping of 3dMark2001. These are the main types of stresses that today's systems face, so we'll concentrate on them.
So how did the Alpha perform under pressure? Let's find out
OK, let's see what we have here. A heatsink that performs at nearly the same level as the Gladiator, but doesn't knock the paint off the walls because of the high noise levels. I think that may be a satisfactory tradeoff for having to remove the motherboard to install it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gabe Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's best single-player game
- Resident Evil 7 will enjoy free DLC chapter post-launch
- Gabe on Half-Life 3: 'the number 3 must not be said'
- Watch Dogs 2's new patch is better on RAM, and more
- Galaxy S8 rumored to cost $849, launches on March 29
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99