Normally we start off with our package and contents, but due to the early nature of the board we didn't get a retail package. The board was simply shipped to us in a white box.
The Mini-ITX standard allows for only one size and variant, a 17x17cm 6-layer PCB. The deep blue colour Albatron have gone with makes it look quite attractive, though it's hard to see much in the way of spare PCB space considering what's packed on the board.
While being such a small board, the layout is extremely clean and efficient. A 24-pin ATX power connector and the 4-pin aux power connector is located on the right hand side of the board along with the single IDE port. This takes up the full length of the right side of the board.
The chipset that has been implored to power this baby is the AMD 690G, AMD's first chipset to come from the joint ATI/AMD venture. Designed to take full advantage of the AMD K8 chipset along with its integrated X1250 Radeon graphics core, it's proven to be an extremely powerful contender. It manages to outperform the GeForce 6150 based boards on the market.
The CPU socket and retention mechanism takes up a lot of space on the board, since it's a K8 it requires a large area for the heatsink. For power regulation a 3-phase voltage system manages to keep the CPU fed with plenty of power. Being AM2 based, the CPU supports a dual channel DDR-II memory configuration. In order to save space while giving you dual channel memory support, Albatron have opted the way of notebook technology by using smaller SO-DIMM memory slots. Two 200-pin SO-DIMM slots are included to give DDR-II-533/667 support. While the CPU does support up to 800MHz memory, there are no DDR-II-800 SO-DIMMs on the market as of yet, so yout going to have to deal with slightly reduced memory bandwidth on this board.
The rear I/O ports are extremely dense, packing in as much as possible. First off there are no PS/2 ports on the board, similar to that of the VIA C7 board we reviewed. In fact, there are no legacy ports at all. There are 3 RCA ports, blue, red and green. These control the Component-out TV setup if your television supports this form of input.
Two video output ports are included, both a traditional 9-pin VGA port and also DVI. If you're going to connect it to a PC you can have dual monitor support; go Albatron and ATI! For the digital media center, a HDMI port is included. This is a must have these days for the digital setup.
RCA and Toslink ports are included for digital audio. So if your home audio system has these inputs, you're set. Lastly are the USB ports, firewire and stereo audio ports, all quite normal there.
Now we move down to the expansion ports and the additional chipsets that are used. Only a single PCI slot is provided for additional expansion. A VIA firewire PCI chip gives the single firewire port. A Marvell PCI-Express x1 LAN chip gives you Gigabit ethernet connectivity, since the SB600 has no ethernet capabilities it requires an external ethernet chip.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethsoft teases Fallout 4 DLC and huge Survivor Mode changes
- Qualcomm aims to make smartwatches much better with new chip
- Microsoft to reveal new Windows 10 and Xbox One plans this month
- Rainbow Six Siege update 2.1 now on PC, adds custom dedicated servers
- Only digital pre-orders unlock access to the Hitman beta
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance