8800GTX AMP! Edition is a fantastic graphics card from Zotac, especially considering they are very new to the market. We can see that the overclock really manages to give us some serious performance gains across the board. This is an excellent way for a new company to stand out, and the name "AMP! Edition" sounds pretty funky, too.
The biggest let down is the package. The inclusion of component cables is nice but it would have been good to see a game included as well. Though as mentioned earlier, there's probably a good reason for this. Given the company has only officially launched earlier this year, it's likely they haven't been able to strike a deal up with the game manufacturers as yet. On the other hand, the card is clocked at the same speeds as the 8800GTX XXX edition from XFX, so the lack of any included games and the urge to be priced aggressively to compete in the market means that this could be a great alternative.
Overclocking was a slight let down, but like most cards clocked extremely high out of the box, they are normally sitting on the edge of maximum attainable performance, so it's not really a con. At least you're guaranteed these high speeds off the bat, which we can see translates to some serious performance!
Looking at the pros and cons we kind of have this uneven amount where there are more cons than pros, yet we still find ourselves giving it a generous rating of 9 out of 10 along with our performance award. Two of the cons will improve over time and the third (being the package) hopefully also gets improved upon. It's hard to mention if it's good value or not at this stage, seeing as we don't have any pricing yet. This is again something that will take a few months as Zotac products become more readily available around the world.
For performance junkies, it is great. If we find that the pricing is significantly cheaper than a company like XFX, who offers the same speed on their top mode, you could just about upgrade the performance only award to an all round editor's choice award, as it would not only go like stink but manage to do it at a damn good price as well.
It really looks like Zotac is serious about becoming a force in the graphics card market. We hope that they can apply more pressure to the market so that competition is fierce, and they continue to create fast products like the one witnessed today. Hopefully we will see an 8800 Ultra AMP! Edition in the near future and preferably with a game to further compliment it.
Excellent performance - factory overclocked
Component cables included
Package a little light - no game included
Still an unknown company
Availability unknown at this stage
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Alien: Isolation 2 isn't happening after all
- Call of Duty WWII features Nazi Zombies story co-op mode
- Call of Duty WWII releases November 3
- Stardock: Switch doesn't really need third-party games
- Project Scorpio 4K vs 1080p side by side comparison
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter