Overall as a mid-high-end digital speaker sound system, the Z-5450's are very competent indeed sporting many inputs on the fantastic self contained decoder and providing multiple mounting options. Let us not forget the innovative and potentially trend setting 'wireless' rear satellites, which were truly a wonder in their own right and certainly a sign of many exciting things to come in the future.
Here we have many connection options including coaxial, optical, headphone and more which give it full marks here. Logitech have covered it all and certainly have a more comprehensive understanding of the average users' requirements then many other companies. Wireless is big at the moment and will only get bigger still, keep your eyes peeled folks as this is a sneak peak into gaming in the future. Prices will only continue to drop as the technology evolves and the bandwidth and speed increases - currently the rear satellites drop the output back to 44 kHz (due to bandwidth limitations), although we could not notice any difference in output. Every feature you can reasonably expect without exception and a couple of extras to boot, wireless is hot right now and Logitech are leading the field by a comfortable margain.Connectivety for the latest consoles is there, along with 48khz 24-bit DTS decoding for movie buffs. Enough? Yep!
At around $650 AUD (with pricing varying between about $400 - $800 USD in North America) these are not a budget solution but they are not sold as such, either. It must be considered that this system can be used in a small living room as a full blown home theatre solution thanks to the brilliant decoder unit (which makes the price a lot easier to swallow) especially compared with many inferior "home theatre in a box" solutions offered by major electrical companies. Even compared with other PC speaker systems, they are great value. Logitech even offers the system without the wireless sattellites, to add even more flexibility to its product range, which is quite staggering. It is a good price for what is included here and the built quality is impeccable for a multimedia system - nearly the best we have seen so far. We have no hesitations in recommending them in the value for money department.
If used as they are intended (as a games and movie speaker system), the Logitech Z-5450's do not disappoint, however as the subwoofer was found to be lacking in depth and clarity, musical performance could not receive high marks. Off axis imaging also suffered in a large environment when compared to the Megaworks, which we suspect is due to a reasonably high crossover between the sub satellites.
If you love your games and movies as we all do, then you will love the Z-5450's. It outputs quality digital surround sound that is assertive and powerful and will turn most medium-sized rooms into floor shaking movie dens. However, for the strictly music lover, there are better solutions.
Great value for money
Wireless rear speakers add flexibility and less cable clutter
Excellent movie and gaming sound quality
High quality build and components
Simple and very effective optical remote control
Supports large range of audio inputs to cover basically everything
Digital hardware decoder - Dolby Digital, Dolby Prologic 2, DTS and DTS 96/24
6.5" sub driver reduces bass quality in certain usage
Music quality not the best we have experienced
Wireless rear speakers still require separate AC power
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Features Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Installation and Configuration]
- Page 4 [Technical View - Overview]
- Page 5 [Technical View - Satellites]
- Page 6 [Technical View - Subwoofer]
- Page 7 [Sound Quality Tests - Music]
- Page 8 [Sound Quality Tests - Movie and Gaming]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- IN WIN's Mod in Taiwan event kicks off, with the world's best modders
- New 4K Xbox Scorpio targeting 6TFLOPs, 1.5 times faster than PS4K
- E3 site lists Xbox One VR category with Oculus Rift devs attached
- New 4K Xbox to support Oculus Rift VR headset
- GeIL reveals new EVO FORZA DDR4 3866MHz RAM
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream
- Manli announces its GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition video card
- ASUS announces the ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080