Hardware Video Capture Test
Using the Hauppauge TV Tuner card we recorded a 20 minute video documentary from a VHS video. We again used Throttle Watch to record the CPU usage under this exercise.
Using the hardware based capture we had no problems with the EPIA EX setup - CPU usage we down to an acceptable level to avoid jumping when encoding, and thanks to a fast SATA HDD there was plenty of speed for the system to dump the recordings straight to the HDD without tying up the system memory too much.
Software Video Capture Test
This time we ran the same VHS video though the USB based TV tuner to see what happens if you went an external TV tuner option or used a PCI based one that has no hardware encode options. Throttle Watch again was used for CPU measurements.
CPU usage went through the roof here.
While the CX700M2 has DivX and MPEG-2 hardware decoding capabilities, it has no encoding abilities and it relies on the CPU to do this fully.
Watching the movie without recording was fine, but when recording, the picture jumped and the audio stuttered, when played back, it was extremely jumpy and audio was well out of sync with what video was recorded. The AMD system also has some jumps but VIA's setup really suffered.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 won't be Project Scorpio launch game after all
- Tekken 7 release date will be announced next week
- NZXT shows off new Puck cable management system
- Switch's add-on box to use the cloud to boost GPU power?
- GabeN admits Steam support needs more work
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup