Hardware Video Capture Test
Using the Hauppauge TV Tuner card we recorded a 20 minute video documentary from a VHS video. We again used Throttle Watch to record the CPU usage under this exercise.
Using the hardware based capture we had no problems with the EPIA EX setup - CPU usage we down to an acceptable level to avoid jumping when encoding, and thanks to a fast SATA HDD there was plenty of speed for the system to dump the recordings straight to the HDD without tying up the system memory too much.
Software Video Capture Test
This time we ran the same VHS video though the USB based TV tuner to see what happens if you went an external TV tuner option or used a PCI based one that has no hardware encode options. Throttle Watch again was used for CPU measurements.
CPU usage went through the roof here.
While the CX700M2 has DivX and MPEG-2 hardware decoding capabilities, it has no encoding abilities and it relies on the CPU to do this fully.
Watching the movie without recording was fine, but when recording, the picture jumped and the audio stuttered, when played back, it was extremely jumpy and audio was well out of sync with what video was recorded. The AMD system also has some jumps but VIA's setup really suffered.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- 'Streets of Rage', 'Altered Beast' films on the way
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand