Hardware Video Capture Test
Using the Hauppauge TV Tuner card we recorded a 20 minute video documentary from a VHS video. We again used Throttle Watch to record the CPU usage under this exercise.
Using the hardware based capture we had no problems with the EPIA EX setup - CPU usage we down to an acceptable level to avoid jumping when encoding, and thanks to a fast SATA HDD there was plenty of speed for the system to dump the recordings straight to the HDD without tying up the system memory too much.
Software Video Capture Test
This time we ran the same VHS video though the USB based TV tuner to see what happens if you went an external TV tuner option or used a PCI based one that has no hardware encode options. Throttle Watch again was used for CPU measurements.
CPU usage went through the roof here.
While the CX700M2 has DivX and MPEG-2 hardware decoding capabilities, it has no encoding abilities and it relies on the CPU to do this fully.
Watching the movie without recording was fine, but when recording, the picture jumped and the audio stuttered, when played back, it was extremely jumpy and audio was well out of sync with what video was recorded. The AMD system also has some jumps but VIA's setup really suffered.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Polaris is exciting, but will this be the GPU we're looking for?
- China is the first to have an autonomous police robot, with a taser
- The 'Space Jam' sequel is happening for reals this time
- VR could be awesome as a mainstream device, but it might be held back
- Oculus Rift to be sold in-store at Best Buy starting May 7
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- JBL Xtreme Portable Bluetooth Speaker Review
- PC reboots immediately after being put to sleep
- How does correct CPU install bend pins?
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched