Hardware Video Capture Test
Using the Hauppauge TV Tuner card we recorded a 20 minute video documentary from a VHS video. We again used Throttle Watch to record the CPU usage under this exercise.
Using the hardware based capture we had no problems with the EPIA EX setup - CPU usage we down to an acceptable level to avoid jumping when encoding, and thanks to a fast SATA HDD there was plenty of speed for the system to dump the recordings straight to the HDD without tying up the system memory too much.
Software Video Capture Test
This time we ran the same VHS video though the USB based TV tuner to see what happens if you went an external TV tuner option or used a PCI based one that has no hardware encode options. Throttle Watch again was used for CPU measurements.
CPU usage went through the roof here.
While the CX700M2 has DivX and MPEG-2 hardware decoding capabilities, it has no encoding abilities and it relies on the CPU to do this fully.
Watching the movie without recording was fine, but when recording, the picture jumped and the audio stuttered, when played back, it was extremely jumpy and audio was well out of sync with what video was recorded. The AMD system also has some jumps but VIA's setup really suffered.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Amazon's new games engine is powerful, flexible, and totally free
- The Division's open beta launches next week, coming first to Xbox One
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 patch live on the PS4, Xbone and PC tomorrow
- H1Z1 splits into two games, neither of them are free-to-play
- Prepare for 3 IT Security Certifications for $30
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance