While the Intel platform is set to go to DDR-3 memory later on this year, though it is starting to show up now, it is not mass produced, and only the P35 chipset currently supports it. DDR-2 is still the king of the desktop and notebook platforms.
That being said DDR-2 has its limits, and we are now reaching them, while we have seen memory at PC2-9200, PC2-8500 seems to be the sweet spot, as just about all the major players now have memory at this level.
Crucial has only just stepped up to this mark, and we are extremely happy with this effort. Ballistix is Crucial's cream of the crop with the Tracer versions adding extra eye candy. We were very impressed with what was on offer.
Crucial has not only managed to get good speeds out of the modules, but the size and style it is done in was extremely impressive
While these modules will only see Intel platforms for a few more months until DDR-3 makes the mainstream, AMD platforms will be very happy this DDR-2 memory for a while to come. AMD loves to overclock and these modules should help you get a nice speed boost.
Onboard LED for eye candy value
Still expensive for DDR-2
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Package and Modules]
- Page 3 [Overclocking the RAM]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Fallout comes to Seattle with massive new Fallout 3-sized mod
- G.Skill to host OC World Record Stage and OC World Cup at Computex
- Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser dethrones 'Force Awakens' views
- Rocket League adds cross-play between Xbox One, PC
- AT&T begins enforcing broadband caps, offers $30 waiver option
- Fitbit Alta Fitness Wristband Review
- Does this look like a good and compatible setup/buy?
- Error on GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, config HDD RAID w/M.2 boot drive
- OCZ RevoDrive 400 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx/ac no display after resume
- Colorful & Bykski announces first water block for GTX 1080 Founders Edition
- G.SKILL hosts OC World Record Stage and OC World Cup at Computex 2016, sponsored by Intel, Samsung, and NVIDIA
- Logitech announces Ultimate Ears Roll 2 speakers
- EK Waterblocks GeForce GTX 1080 block now available
- Crucial announces Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 SODIMMs