Like its younger brother, the heatsink of the Dominator2 has numerous small fins that have been cut to create a rough finish. This new method of making the heatsink is called Textured Fin Technology, and is designed to make for a larger surface area. This will in turn aid in the removal of heat from the processor core. We found in the first incarnation of the Dominator that it seems to work extremely well.
The main differences in this sink and its sibling are the number of fins and their width. Pictured above are both of the Dominators sitting side by side. The unit on the left is the Dominator2. Lets take a bit closer look and see what the differences are
Though the Dominator2 has a thinner fin used in its manufacture, you can tell that it still contains that same rough finish, thus enhancing its cooling abilities. There are 46 fins on the newer version compared to 41 fins on the older one. More fins should equate to more accessible surface area for cooling.
The base on this sink wasn't finished off with the same mirror finish that the earlier model was. But mirrored or not, it was still very smooth and there is no need to lap the base when you get it in your hot little hands. Also notice that there is none of that offending thermal tape included. Since we don't have to scrape off the tape, there is no chance of marring the smooth base. Just a few things that help make for a good purchase.
There are two fan choices available when you order this heatsink. The top fan is the same monster that was included with the old version; namely the Delta 60mm x 60mm x 38mm beast that spins at 7,000RPM and pushes roughly 43-CFM of airflow. It also emits a very loud 50.5 dBA of sound output. To state the obvious, it is LOUD!
The second choice is the YS Tech 60mm x 60mm x 25mm fan that spins at 6,800RPM and puts out 40-CFM at a 48 dBA sound rating. While it is not quite as loud as the Delta, it does make a difference. The drone of this particular fan was a much lower pitch than the whine of the high-speed Delta units.
Also included was a trusty fan grill. I've stated my views on this a few times, so I won't go into it again, but lets just say that it is a good thing.
Since I received both fans with the review sample, I'll test out both of them. The sink itself will be rated using the Delta so that it will be a direct comparison against its older brother, but I'll provide general results using the YS Tech model as well. After all, if you're looking at spending money, then it's always a good idea to know what you're looking at isn't it?
This sink has the very same clipping mechanism that the original Dominator had. It installs very easily and doesn't take a lot of pressure to get it hooked to the front lug. And while it seems almost a bit too easy to put on, it doesn't allow for any movement of the heatsink as it is mounted on top of the processor, so life is good. It's a nice change of pace to finally get a clip that doesn't take a crowbar to install, yet holds the sink firmly in place.
All right...Now that we have an idea of what makes this thing tick, how about getting into the meat of the matter, huh?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- GUITAR HERO LIVE PITS JAMES FRANCO AGAINST LENNY KRAVITZ IN AN EPIC ROCK BATTLE WITH THE PREMIERE OF THE 'WIN THE CROWD' LIVE-ACTION TRAILER