When it comes to gadgets, more is generally better. Scythe has managed to come up with a simple multi-card reading device and make it better by adding in a floppy drive as well. Not only does this allow those who use both to get everything in a smaller package, it also allows those who do not really want a floppy drive to still have one around when they need it. Add in the large assortment of compatible media types and you have yourself a very handy product.
As far as working well, this unit is fully USB 2.0 compliant and gives you the faster data transfer rates that come with this technology. I used SD, Memory Stick, Smart Media and CF media and all worked flawlessly. The floppy drive had no issues either as it was used for driver installations when a new OS was placed on our test machine.
As far as price goes, the YD-8V08 will run around $30US, so is consistent with pricing of normal multi-card reading devices currently on the market. You can get it in either white or black, so you can keep the front of your enclosure looking uniform.
Bottom line... If you have been thinking of getting an installable multi-reading device and either do not want a standalone floppy drive or are looking to save space, the Scythe YD-8V08 is for you. With full compatibility for a vast majority of common media types and USB 2.0 speeds to boot, you just cannot go wrong.
Compatible with most removable media currently available
Combines FDD with media reader/writer
Fits in standard 3.5-inch drive bay
Fully USB 2.0 compliant
USB cable may be too short
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Features Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- Beautiful film made using only water, a 5 yen coin and an Apple iPhone
- iOS 9 now has Tweetbot 4 support on iPad and iPhone
- Helpful Chrome extension lets you play GIFs in Google Search
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog