What can we say about the new Radeon X1950GT? The X1950GT 512MB Super from Palit isn't really all that "Super" at all, to be dead honest with you.
You actually have to feel sorry for the ATI partners as there is no doubt that ATI are applying pressure for them sell these new cards and move out the remainder supply of RV570 chips. No doubt AMD and ATI would be making it clear that R600 is just around the corner and if they want good supply of the new chip, they should help in over supply areas. It's a rough game, this industry.
With a price difference of only $30 AUD (or roughly $24 USD) between it and the 256MB version of the Radeon X1950PRO, we would hugely recommend that you save the extra few dollars and if you were that tight for money, we would recommend that you make the move to the highly overclockable GeForce 7900GS 256MB which can be had for basically the same price as the 512MB version of Radeon X1950GT and it will end up providing better performance.
Palit have done the best they can with the new graphics card, slapped on an attractive and quiet cooling solution, packaged a game with the card and released it at a competitive price point but the bottom line is none of this is really going to help. It is clearly a last resort for ATI to get rid of these RV570 cores before a flurry of new ones come out in the shape of the R600.
Giving the graphics card a score we would have to give it 7 out of 10. It's not the worst card on the market and Palit as usual have done a good job with it. But if we had to give the actual Radeon X1950GT from AMD and ATI a score, it would be closer to 4 out of 10 because it's nothing but an unnecessary stop gap solution to help get rid of excess chip supply and not a very good solution. Spend just a few extra bucks and you'll end up getting a much better deal.
Just bring the R600 out already!
Similar pricing to the 7900GS 256MB
256MB and 512MB variants
Full version game
Spends a little extra and get something that is much better!
Rating - 7 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Lost Coast)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The new Zelda game takes up nearly half Switch's storage
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p docked, 720p undocked
- Super Mario Odyseey hits 7 million views on YouTube
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will support HDR10, Dolby Vision
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99