Being a budget board, it's based on the Micro ATX form factor. The PCB used is purple in colour - definitely something different and quite attractive in its own right.
Unfortunately being budget based means there is a major gripe about the board - power connectors. The 24-pin power connector is located sensibly behind the memory slots along with the single IDE and FDD port. The 4-pin power connector for the CPU is placed between the Northbridge and the rear I/O ports.
In a small case environment with PSU's that follow the budget line, the cables aren't very long, requiring you to route the cable around or across the CPU heatsink, again in a small case, air flow is at a premium and routing cables around the CPU is a real big no no.
Next we come down to the CPU and memory area. The board gives the CPU a 3 phase voltage system, for a budget non-overclocker board, this is more than adequate for the Athlon processor. Since AM2 are all based around the same architecture, unlike LGA775, there are no rogue energy hungry processors.
One thing that was interesting is there are two memory slots missing; however, there are solder points on the board? Why the extra DDR-2 DIMM's weren't included is a mystery to us.
The rear I/O is pretty bare compared to most boards, but what you really need is included. It was a shame not to see any form of digital audio output capabilities such as optical or digital coaxial. It's looking more and more like this motherboard is not so much designed for home theatre computers but for an office PC or basic home system. Since this board is designed with integrated graphics, there are two video ports - one DVI and one CRT. You can use dual monitor configuration on the board without any hassles as we proved during testing. It's unclear at this stage if the onboard DVI port provides HDCP support for playback of HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies but it looks unlikely.
Lastly we come down to the expansion setup and there are a total of 4 slots. First is a PCI Express x16 slot which is coloured orange. If you prefer not to use the onboard graphics, you can simply stick an external PCI-E graphics card in and be down with it. A Single PCI Express x1 slot make up the PCI-E expansion possibilities. For legacy setups, 2 PCI slots are included. The only additional extra that is not provided by the Southbridge is a Realtek Gigabit Ethernet chip that runs off the PCI Express x1 bus.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [AMD 690G Details]
- Page 4 [In the Box]
- Page 5 [Motherboard]
- Page 6 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X hits #1 best-selling CPUs on Amazon
- AMD breaking world records with Ryzen 7 1800X already
- 'Rogue One' Blu-ray announced, extras detailed
- I want one: AMD Ryzen CPU review kit looks AMAZING
- NVIDIA to reveal GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on February 28
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood