Overclocking the RAM
The modules themselves are quite aggressively timed for modules hitting past 600MHz or 1200MHz DDR. Corsair rates their modules for 5-5-5-18 2T at 625MHz. Last week we checked out the impressive OCZ FlexXLC memory and it had to lower itself down to 5-9-9-24 2T just to hit 600MHz.
With our new Gigabyte P965-DQ6 rev 3.3 test system motherboard we managed to hit a total of 627.5MHz or 1255MHz DDR (which works out to be PC2-10040) with the timings still staying at 5-5-5-18 2T. We did manage a speed of 634MHz or 1268MHz DDR to load Windows XP but any attempt to load benchmarks resulted in a total system shutdown and reboot. To get as high as we used the full 2.4 volts that the modules specify.
Another site managed to break 1300MHz DDR but it's of course going to depend on what motherboard you are using along if you get the sweetest pick of the batch. We're pretty impressed anyway to be running memory at speeds above PC2-10000.
To see what was possible we lowered the timings as tight as possible at 800MHz DDR. In this instance we got 4-3-3-15 2T out of the modules, which is quite aggressive, and this was without any voltage increase to the modules.
If we had a little more time with the modules we would have tried some voltage increases to see if we could have gotten more out of them. We had only a short time to test - we were impressed with what we got on our first attempts but if you've got more time to invest in pushing the modules to the absolute maximum, you'll more than likely see better results.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti teased for January 2017
- Windows 10 is now on over 400 million devices
- Final 'Fantastic Beasts' trailer brings back the magic
- Disney remaking 'The Lion King' in new CG hybrid feature
- Pre-order Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess figures now
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now