PCI-E x1 Usage Situations
- Desktop Real Estate
When looking at adding another graphics card to your system, the typical computer enthusiast thinks you do it for the additional power. Well, there is more to multiple graphics cards then pure speed. The ability that SLI gave us was that we could easily have four monitors set up and running at the same time.
With old style PCI slots not only being valuable due to many devices still requiring them and PCI graphics cards not only being slow but also expensive, it would make sense that an alternative option was made available. nVidia's nForce 680i chipset from nVidia provides three x16 slots but at a very high price. The ability to go out and buy a good quality (but cheaper) Intel 965P board from manufactories like Gigabyte and ASUS means that with a trio of these GeForce 7300GT graphics cards (two utilizing the PCI-E x16 slots and one the x1 slot), we can get six monitors up and running quite cheaply. Keep in mind they won't run at x16 just because you've placed them in an x16 slot but they'll still work perfectly fine at x1 bandwidth speeds.
This is perfect for people who need nothing more than huge amounts of desktop real estate - it's something that is becoming more and more common amongst heavy computer users and certain industries.
Next on the list are home theater computers. Your average home theater PC doesn't come with much expansion ability; motherboard manufactures also feel that with the integrated graphics, there is no real point or need in offering a PCI-E x16 slot - well, as far as we are concerned, that's not a problem now.
So, you are having some trouble playing back 720p movies thanks to the lack of grunt on offer from the onboard video, look no further. If you get yourself a PCI-E x1 graphics card with HDCP support (unfortunately the Galaxy card lacks along with all other cards under the 7600 class range) you're going to be ready for all that next generation movie watching from HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles.
- Budget Gaming Rig
So you thought to yourself, "Onboard graphics is fine for me..." Time goes on and you want to start playing some of those newer games that are being released - you don't need AA or AF, 1600 x 1200 or all high detail but you would like around 30FPS, not fantastic but playable. Not thinking that it was ever going to bother you, the motherboard for your system you purchased never had a PCI-E x16 slot.
Now instead of having to go out buy a new motherboard and a new graphics card, you can hunt for a PCI-E x1 graphics card that's not going to cost a fortunate and receives a decent upgrade from that shocking integrated 3D solution.
As you can see, there are plenty of uses for a PCI-E x1 graphics card, if you just think outside of the performance square for a moment. Let's move on and have a closer look at the actual card on offer today from Galaxy.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [PCI-E x1 Usage]
- Page 3 [Galaxy's PCI-E x1 7300GT]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Lost Coast)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Division on PC is held back, as it would be 'unfair' to consoles
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance