It's BIOS time, and as usual, ASUS is one of (if not king) of the BIOS setups. Award version 6 is the module of choice using their standard tab menu layout that has been so popular for quite some time - Extreme Tweaker main menu gives you access to all of the overclocking features.
Once in the Extreme Tweaker menu you need to set A.I Tuning to "Manual" to gain access to the manual overclocking, otherwise you leave it to the A.I system to automatically overclock to a pre determined limit, and who wants that when we can push it faster?
Let's check out some of the important OC options;
FSB: 100MHz to 650MHz in 1MHz Increments
PCI Express: 100MHz to 150MHz in 1MHz Increments
PCI Clock Sync: Auto or 33MHz
CPU Over Voltage: 1.100 to 1.850 in 0.0125v Increments
DRAM Voltage: 1.8v to 3.375v in 0.025v Increments
FSB Term Voltage: 1.2v to 1.55v in 0.05v Increments
NB Core: 1.2v to 2.025v in 0.025v Increments
SB Vcore: 1.5v to 1.85v in 0.05v Increments
SB Chipset: 1.05v to 1.225v in 0.025v Increments
There are plenty of great voltage options available but what does this mean when it comes to the overall overclock?
Using the latest BIOS version from the ASUS website, as you can see in the CPU-Z screenshot above, we managed to get the FSB to a stable maximum of 507MHz with the memory at 1:1, CPU voltage at 1.4v, DRAM voltage at 2.2v, FSB Term Voltage at 1.5v, NV Voltage at 1.6v, SB Vcore at 1.65v and SB Chipset at 1.2v.
Hitting quite a bit over the magic 500MHz FSB mark, it looks like Gigabyte's stunning P965-DQ6 has finally been knocked out of top place for maximum FSB overclocking on any Socket 775 motherboard which we have tested to date. Suffice to say, the ASUS Commando motherboard offers kick-ass overclocking and will bring a smile to anyone's face!
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we don't have enough time to tweak the motherboard to the maximum and find the highest possible FSB as this could take days to properly find. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released or "burn in" time might come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts ]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni