ASUS constantly comes out with new motherboards for their portfolio and its clear why - ASUS keeps improving on their designs and without a doubt the "Republic of Gamers" Commando motherboard shows the most promise for their Core 2 line up and is one of the best Socket 775 motherboards we have ever tested.
While we managed a stunning and very stable result of 507MHz FSB through the ASUS "Extreme Tweaker" BIOS, with more time and a better cooling setup, we are sure you could go well beyond that mark. In fact, we even managed to load Windows at 515MHz FSB but as soon as we tried loading anything, it would crash and hard lock. It took 507Mhz to make it fully stable to run our benchmarks, 510Mhz did look promising, but BSOD's kept us from getting this far.
The price factor is one thing that might put some people off. In Australia, the Commando is about $80 AUD (or roughly $65 USD) more expensive than the Gigabyte DQ6. With the DQ6's extra features on offer, you may want to go for that option rather than the slightly cut down ASUS Commando, which offers a higher attainable FSB in comparison.
Having said that, if you're after huge FSB potential, you're probably better looking at DFI's RD600 motherboard, which was able to hit over 510MHz FSB during our testing. And it's important to remember that Gigabyte has just launched v3.3 of their DQ6 motherboard - it will be interesting to see if we are able to attain a higher overclock than previous versions, testing will begin shortly.
Overall though we were very impressed with the power, overclocking and features of the ASUS Commando, it is a very good and extremely well thought out product. It will make an absolutely stunning platform for a gaming system (as long as you aren't looking for nVidia SLI support) with loads of performance, style and class. We have no hesitation in giving it our Best Performance Award although research before buying as you might be able to buy something, which is better value for money, depending on your requirements.
Highest FSB overclock on any P965 motherboard we have tested
Supports all current Intel processors (including Quad Core)
Clearly well designed for gamers and overclockers
Silent and effective heat pipe cooling
Good quality audio and support
AMD Crossfire dual graphics
Great package including a full version game and 3DMark06
LCD Poster for error detection
Onboard power switch and Q-Connector makes life easier
Lacks some features such as e.SATA
Limited to old PCI for expansion
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts ]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni