ASUS constantly comes out with new motherboards for their portfolio and its clear why - ASUS keeps improving on their designs and without a doubt the "Republic of Gamers" Commando motherboard shows the most promise for their Core 2 line up and is one of the best Socket 775 motherboards we have ever tested.
While we managed a stunning and very stable result of 507MHz FSB through the ASUS "Extreme Tweaker" BIOS, with more time and a better cooling setup, we are sure you could go well beyond that mark. In fact, we even managed to load Windows at 515MHz FSB but as soon as we tried loading anything, it would crash and hard lock. It took 507Mhz to make it fully stable to run our benchmarks, 510Mhz did look promising, but BSOD's kept us from getting this far.
The price factor is one thing that might put some people off. In Australia, the Commando is about $80 AUD (or roughly $65 USD) more expensive than the Gigabyte DQ6. With the DQ6's extra features on offer, you may want to go for that option rather than the slightly cut down ASUS Commando, which offers a higher attainable FSB in comparison.
Having said that, if you're after huge FSB potential, you're probably better looking at DFI's RD600 motherboard, which was able to hit over 510MHz FSB during our testing. And it's important to remember that Gigabyte has just launched v3.3 of their DQ6 motherboard - it will be interesting to see if we are able to attain a higher overclock than previous versions, testing will begin shortly.
Overall though we were very impressed with the power, overclocking and features of the ASUS Commando, it is a very good and extremely well thought out product. It will make an absolutely stunning platform for a gaming system (as long as you aren't looking for nVidia SLI support) with loads of performance, style and class. We have no hesitation in giving it our Best Performance Award although research before buying as you might be able to buy something, which is better value for money, depending on your requirements.
Highest FSB overclock on any P965 motherboard we have tested
Supports all current Intel processors (including Quad Core)
Clearly well designed for gamers and overclockers
Silent and effective heat pipe cooling
Good quality audio and support
AMD Crossfire dual graphics
Great package including a full version game and 3DMark06
LCD Poster for error detection
Onboard power switch and Q-Connector makes life easier
Lacks some features such as e.SATA
Limited to old PCI for expansion
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts ]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox Live Gold subscribers get 4 new games next month
- Final Fantasy 15 PC port won't come any time soon
- Nintendo Switch to launch only as complete bundle
- The world's tiniest smartphone has 1.54-inch display
- Is Surface Studio Microsoft's new all-in-one desktop?
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now