Did VIA right their wrongs in my mind? Well, yes and no. While the stability of the Apollo Pro 266 platform can't be denied in 2D Windows tasks, AGP stability is a little quirky. The GeForce2 MX refused to play fairly, and although the GeForce3 did run well, I had to run through hoops to make it work. VIA could learn a little from Intel here, with an i815E board you simply install the .INF file and you're done. With VIA based boards many people eagerly await the release of the next 4-in-1 driver to see if it will resolve any compatibility issues.
Not all of this is VIA's fault though. Much of the blame can be laid on software vendors and other component manufacturers not performing enough testing on VIA boards. Speed is not an issue, VIA has addressed these problems with gusto. AOpen should be commended for making an excellent board to support VIA's flagship Socket 370 DDR chipset. I eagerly await the Apollo Pro 266T, which has support for the new "Tualatin" Pentium III processor.
In rating this board, I could have easily given it a 9 or 9.5 due to its speed and feature set. Unfortunately, the AGP problems tarnish the otherwise sterling showing.
Fastest chipset supporting the Pentium III processor
Supports DDR memory
Onboard ATA-100 IDE RAID
6 PCI Slots
Poor AGP compatibility
Bit pricey for a Socket 370 board
Pentium III is aging technology, not very futureproof
Rating - 7.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- It's morphin time for new 'Power Rangers' trailer
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni