Did VIA right their wrongs in my mind? Well, yes and no. While the stability of the Apollo Pro 266 platform can't be denied in 2D Windows tasks, AGP stability is a little quirky. The GeForce2 MX refused to play fairly, and although the GeForce3 did run well, I had to run through hoops to make it work. VIA could learn a little from Intel here, with an i815E board you simply install the .INF file and you're done. With VIA based boards many people eagerly await the release of the next 4-in-1 driver to see if it will resolve any compatibility issues.
Not all of this is VIA's fault though. Much of the blame can be laid on software vendors and other component manufacturers not performing enough testing on VIA boards. Speed is not an issue, VIA has addressed these problems with gusto. AOpen should be commended for making an excellent board to support VIA's flagship Socket 370 DDR chipset. I eagerly await the Apollo Pro 266T, which has support for the new "Tualatin" Pentium III processor.
In rating this board, I could have easily given it a 9 or 9.5 due to its speed and feature set. Unfortunately, the AGP problems tarnish the otherwise sterling showing.
Fastest chipset supporting the Pentium III processor
Supports DDR memory
Onboard ATA-100 IDE RAID
6 PCI Slots
Poor AGP compatibility
Bit pricey for a Socket 370 board
Pentium III is aging technology, not very futureproof
Rating - 7.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Harrison Ford has seen 'Force Awakens' final cut
- Nintendo's 'Mario Kart' eSports show coming to DisneyXD channel
- MSI Z170A Krait motherboard includes Rainbow Six Siege, new design
- GeForce 359.06 driver prepares you for Just Cause 3, Rainbow Six Siege
- Chrome Data Saver mode now reduces data usage up to 70%
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Nokia Technologies announces commercial availability of OZO virtual reality camera
- SingEx Exhibitions Expands Footprint in China with Partnership to Launch IoT China
- IGEL UDC2 now converts enterprise-class Dell Wyse thin clients
- Technology and Innovation Key to Cost Reduction and Capital Efficiency as Companies Strive to Meet Future Energy Demand, IHS Says
- Patriot Introduces 128GB Compact USB Flash Drives for Optimal Portable Storage Solutions