Did VIA right their wrongs in my mind? Well, yes and no. While the stability of the Apollo Pro 266 platform can't be denied in 2D Windows tasks, AGP stability is a little quirky. The GeForce2 MX refused to play fairly, and although the GeForce3 did run well, I had to run through hoops to make it work. VIA could learn a little from Intel here, with an i815E board you simply install the .INF file and you're done. With VIA based boards many people eagerly await the release of the next 4-in-1 driver to see if it will resolve any compatibility issues.
Not all of this is VIA's fault though. Much of the blame can be laid on software vendors and other component manufacturers not performing enough testing on VIA boards. Speed is not an issue, VIA has addressed these problems with gusto. AOpen should be commended for making an excellent board to support VIA's flagship Socket 370 DDR chipset. I eagerly await the Apollo Pro 266T, which has support for the new "Tualatin" Pentium III processor.
In rating this board, I could have easily given it a 9 or 9.5 due to its speed and feature set. Unfortunately, the AGP problems tarnish the otherwise sterling showing.
Fastest chipset supporting the Pentium III processor
Supports DDR memory
Onboard ATA-100 IDE RAID
6 PCI Slots
Poor AGP compatibility
Bit pricey for a Socket 370 board
Pentium III is aging technology, not very futureproof
Rating - 7.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Woman wins $10,000 in forced Windows 10 upgrade case
- Design your own AI with this online training
- AMD's next-gen AM4 socket pictured on the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Impact
- Tesla inks $9 billion deal to build a new factory in China
- Battlefield 1: experimenting with weapons in closed alpha test
- H110M-ITX loses USB and PS1 when WIN 7 loads
- Why does my Monitor show static and lines occasionally when using 144hz?
- Considering a DK-04 when they come in stock, just have a few questions beforehand.
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- X170 EXTREME ECC Build
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines