Did VIA right their wrongs in my mind? Well, yes and no. While the stability of the Apollo Pro 266 platform can't be denied in 2D Windows tasks, AGP stability is a little quirky. The GeForce2 MX refused to play fairly, and although the GeForce3 did run well, I had to run through hoops to make it work. VIA could learn a little from Intel here, with an i815E board you simply install the .INF file and you're done. With VIA based boards many people eagerly await the release of the next 4-in-1 driver to see if it will resolve any compatibility issues.
Not all of this is VIA's fault though. Much of the blame can be laid on software vendors and other component manufacturers not performing enough testing on VIA boards. Speed is not an issue, VIA has addressed these problems with gusto. AOpen should be commended for making an excellent board to support VIA's flagship Socket 370 DDR chipset. I eagerly await the Apollo Pro 266T, which has support for the new "Tualatin" Pentium III processor.
In rating this board, I could have easily given it a 9 or 9.5 due to its speed and feature set. Unfortunately, the AGP problems tarnish the otherwise sterling showing.
Fastest chipset supporting the Pentium III processor
Supports DDR memory
Onboard ATA-100 IDE RAID
6 PCI Slots
Poor AGP compatibility
Bit pricey for a Socket 370 board
Pentium III is aging technology, not very futureproof
Rating - 7.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- 'Streets of Rage', 'Altered Beast' films on the way
- Hollywood to rent movies, 2 weeks after they hit cinemas
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand