Did VIA right their wrongs in my mind? Well, yes and no. While the stability of the Apollo Pro 266 platform can't be denied in 2D Windows tasks, AGP stability is a little quirky. The GeForce2 MX refused to play fairly, and although the GeForce3 did run well, I had to run through hoops to make it work. VIA could learn a little from Intel here, with an i815E board you simply install the .INF file and you're done. With VIA based boards many people eagerly await the release of the next 4-in-1 driver to see if it will resolve any compatibility issues.
Not all of this is VIA's fault though. Much of the blame can be laid on software vendors and other component manufacturers not performing enough testing on VIA boards. Speed is not an issue, VIA has addressed these problems with gusto. AOpen should be commended for making an excellent board to support VIA's flagship Socket 370 DDR chipset. I eagerly await the Apollo Pro 266T, which has support for the new "Tualatin" Pentium III processor.
In rating this board, I could have easily given it a 9 or 9.5 due to its speed and feature set. Unfortunately, the AGP problems tarnish the otherwise sterling showing.
Fastest chipset supporting the Pentium III processor
Supports DDR memory
Onboard ATA-100 IDE RAID
6 PCI Slots
Poor AGP compatibility
Bit pricey for a Socket 370 board
Pentium III is aging technology, not very futureproof
Rating - 7.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD to have a massive volume launch of next-gen Zen CPUs in early 2017
- Facebook CEO says 'AR will be where VR' is today in 5-10 years
- Microsoft 'couldn't focus' enough in order to make a portable Xbox
- Witcher 3 first person mod released, looking good
- Razer opens up the pre-order floodgates for its OSVR headset
- Ghostbusters (2016) Cinema Movie Review
- Why do I have trouble starting my machine?
- G1.Sniper M3 Boot Loop
- GPU Ugrade killed my NIC
- Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio
- G.SKILL announces a major software update for the RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard