OCZ Storage Solutions -- a Toshiba Group Company and provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today announced the introduction of Host Managed SSD (HMS) technology, first supported by the Saber 1000 Series SSDs. HMS technology enables Host controls over internal SSD background processing tasks that were previously not exposed to host-level software. System-level software control of background processing tasks, such as Garbage Collection, enable improving overall storage performance, and specifically enable obtaining consistent and predictable latency across a large pool of SSDs.
Hyperscale, Cloud, and datacenters now run software defined storage applications which manage large pools of SSDs across multiple servers. Consistent performance of these SSDs is critical to many modern applications, such as modern data bases and online trading, that have migrated to the Cloud. Exposing HMS functions via API enables integration of HMS functions into the storage stacks.
"We have listened to our customers and they require not only high performance, but consistent high performance," said Oded Ilan, General Manager of OCZ's R&D Team in Israel. "Our new Saber HMS SSD, together with a software library and API, enable for the first time software orchestration of internal housekeeping tasks across large pools of SSDs, thus overcoming performance barriers that were simply not possible to address without this technology."
The HMS-enabled Saber 1000 SSDs are managed by software APIs which provide control over the HMS functionality within the Saber HMS SSD. OCZ is also providing a reference design and demonstration platform which demonstrates the functionality of Saber HMS, and enables benchmarking the HMS system performance in real time. OCZ also provides a software library and a Programmer's Guide so HMS can be easily integrated into storage stacks of storage OEMs or software defined storage applications.
The Saber 1000 SATA Series is OCZ's first product to support HMS controls and includes usable capacities of 480GB and 960GB in a 2.5" x 7mm enclosure. Designed for cost-sensitive, read-intensive, large-scale deployments, Saber 1000 HMS delivers the consistent performance datacenters require, at a price point that enables superior ROI. With an ever-increasing focus on higher performance and lower cost, OCZ views HMS as the next evolution in storage systems design.
For more information, visit the product page.
Latest News Posts
- Red Dead 2 delay won't interrupt future Rockstar games
- Far Cry 5 co-op supports full campaign
- Far Cry 5: Everything you need to know
- EVGA teases its GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin, unveil at Computex
- SAPPHIRE announces RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017