Netgear, a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, today introduced a Wi-Fi router for your home that sets a new standard for speed, features and performance. The latest addition to the company's premium Nighthawk product line of Wi-Fi routers, Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8500) delivers astonishing Internet performance with combined Wi-Fi speeds up to a blistering 5.3 Gbps (1000 Mbps + 2166 Mbps + 2166 Mbps), a new record for a home router. This quad-stream, tri-band router provides more Internet bandwidth for all the devices in your home, so everyone in the family can stream movies and music, download files, surf the web, share photos, and enjoy online gaming - simultaneously and without lag.
Engineered from the ground up with a stylish modern design, the Nighthawk X8 is performance perfected with the new Wave 2 AC Wi-Fi. It is powered by an extremely powerful 1.4GHz dual-core processor for faster connections; the industry's first, patent-pending Active Antennas to boost range; and three Wi-Fi bands with quad-streams, 1024 QAM, and MU-MIMO capable for the fastest Wi-Fi speeds. It also supports more wired connections with six Gigabit Ethernet ports including two that can be aggregated for faster file transfers. All told, the Nighthawk X8 pushes wireless performance and range to an extreme that is required for enabling your increasingly always-on networked life.
Due to the recent explosion in popularity of mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, the average household today has more than 12 Wi-Fi devices connecting to its network, according to a new survey conducted by market research firm MarketLab. The proliferation of these devices is expected to grow exponentially in the next few years as the "Internet of Things" (IoT) smart home becomes a reality. The next-generation Nighthawk X8 Wi-Fi router from NETGEAR ensures the bandwidth required to support this ever-growing number of networked devices. The Nighthawk X8 delivers the best Wi-Fi speed across all your devices, even when your family members are streaming, gaming, and downloading files at the same time.
"Nighthawk X8 is the next wave in Wi-Fi and is for people who crave the absolute best networking experience possible today. Tri-band Wi-Fi helps provide sufficient bandwidth for the increasing number of devices in the home and cutting-edge Wave 2 AC provides the best Wi-Fi performance," said Sandeep Harpalani, NETGEAR senior director of product marketing for Retail Network Products.
He added, "Nighthawk X8 has enhancements such as industry-first Active Antennas for the best range and performance, additional Gigabit ports for more wired connections, and even port aggregation for streaming capability from your networked storage device at greater than Gigabit speeds. Simply put, Nighthawk X8 delivers performance that outpaces any other router in the market today."
Today's homes combine many new and old Wi-Fi devices that slow down overall performance. The SmartConnect feature of the tri-band Nighthawk X8 is engineered to intelligently segment slower and faster devices into the most appropriate Wi-Fi band so that not only can the fast devices run faster, but even older devices will offer better performance.
You can also use the tri-band capability to segment traffic by devices or application. In a typical older dual-band router, for example, the video streamer and the Internet gamer have to effectively "time-share" bandwidth. However, with a tri-band router such as Nighthawk X8, video streaming and Internet gaming traffic can each operate on separate bands, effectively getting double the speed of a dual-band router.
Moreover, Nighthawk X8 offers a unique Dynamic QoS prioritization capability. Instead of treating all devices and applications as the same, Dynamic QoS recognizes each individual application and the device it is running on, and prioritizes their network traffic accordingly. Whether you are using your smartphone, tablet or laptop computer for gaming, streaming, transferring files or web browsing, Nighthawk X8 ensures that you are getting the most effective network connection for the best possible experience.
Nighthawk X8 boasts a total of eight antennas, four internal and four patent-pending external Active Antennas - the industry's first - that boost the wireless range of the Nighthawk X8. Unlike typical antennas that simply relay the Wi-Fi signal received from your devices to the router, Active Antennas amplify the Wi-Fi signal within the external antenna itself. They eliminate loss in signal strength and avoid any additional noise during transmission. Active Antennas effectively compensate for the low power of Wi-Fi devices to provide a more symmetrical connection for both receiving and sending wireless signals, which contributes to improving overall range and speed at long range.
You'll also be able to transfer large data files, photos, and videos in minutes rather than hours thanks to the port aggregation capability of Nighthawk X8 (also known as "port trunking"). The router has six Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, the largest number available on a mainstream home router. Two of these ports can be aggregated to double the gigabit connection to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device - such as all current NETGEAR ReadyNAS models with two Ethernet ports - to support 4K HD streaming, faster backups, and faster file transfers.
Technical Benefits of Nighthawk X8
NETGEAR has designed Nighthawk X8 with best-in-class technology for speed, range, sharing, reliability, ease of use and security. It offers an unmatched Wi-Fi experience for your Wi-Fi-enabled devices - smartphones, notebooks, tablets, smart TVs, gaming consoles, Blu-ray players, and media servers.
- Tri-band, quad-stream Wi-Fi intelligently connects more devices to the fastest Wi-Fi band possible and increases overall network speed, for a combined speed up to an astounding 5.3Gbps (1000 Mbps + 2166 Mbps + 2166 Mbps) with 1024 QAM support.
- The powerful 1.4GHz dual-core processor delivers faster speed for improved Wi-Fi, wired and USB performance.
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for every device.
- Six Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports connect more wired devices and include dual port aggregation capability that doubles the gigabit connection to your NAS for 4K HD streaming and faster file transfers and backups.
- Eight antennas include four patent-pending external Active Antennas that enhance weak signals and reduce interference.
- Application-aware and device-aware Dynamic QoS technology optimizes your connection speed for reduced lag and buffering.
- MU-MIMO-capable technology designed for simultaneous streaming to multiple devices will provide major performance improvements with next-generation mobile devices.
- Beamforming+ improves Wi-Fi coverage and reliability by focusing Wi-Fi directly at connected devices.
- NETGEAR genie app is a personal dashboard that includes remote access to make it easy to install, monitor, control and repair your home network when you're away from home.
- ReadyCLOUD USB access enables you to enjoy personal and secure cloud access to USB storage anytime, anywhere.
- ReadySHARE Vault, a free software application, automatically backs up Windows-based PCs on your network to a USB hard drive connected to Nighthawk X8.
- Enhanced Parental Controls enable web filtering and accessibility by family member or devices.
- Security features include VPN support for secure remote access to your home network and Internet when away from home and separate guest network access.
- NETGEAR MyMedia enables you to find and play your stored media from anywhere on your network to your DLNA-ready TVs and music system.
- Two USB ports for easy access and transfer of your content, including one SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port that offers high-speed, storage-ready access significantly faster than USB 2.0.
Pricing and Availability
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Smart Wi-Fi Router is available now in the U.S. from major retailers in stores and online, at an MSRP of $399.99.
For more information, visit the product page.
Latest News Posts
- Regenerate a 'Doctor Who' Blu-ray in our latest giveaway
- Take-Two earns 81% of its net revenue from consoles
- AMD ThreadRipper 1998X: 16C/32T @ 3.9GHz, 44 PCIe lanes
- EVGA teases its GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid graphics card
- ARM announces new CPUs and GPU at Computex 2017
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017