WD, a Western Digital company, and world leader in storage solutions, today announced the new My Passport Cinema 4K Ultra HD (UHD) movie storage device, an easier and faster way to organize, store and enjoy high-definition digital movies and TV shows - including new releases in up to full 4K UHD resolution with high dynamic range (HDR) - on Samsung SUHD TVs and other VIDITY-enabled devices.
The new My Passport Cinema drive utilizes VIDITY technology to allow users to experience movies in crystal-clear, true 4K UHD picture and immersive audio. Users are able to enjoy 8.3 million pixels of stunning entertainment in minutes by simply plugging in the My Passport Cinema drive into a VIDITY-compatible UHD TV or device and purchasing preloaded1 movies from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Once purchased on the My Passport Cinema drive, the movie can be accessed immediately online or offline on any VIDITY-enabled device such as Samsung's 2014 HU series 4K UHD TVs and 2015 JU and JS series 4K UHD and SUHD TVs. Users also can download additional titles via M-GO or other VIDITY retailers.
"Our focus is on creating the highest-quality consumer experience possible," said Danny Kaye, EVP, global research and technology strategy, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "This means the quality of the content as the demand for 4K Ultra HD content continues to increase and evolve, but also the ease of content acquisition and playback on next-generation TVs and other devices. WD's My Passport Cinema drive with VIDITY technology brings together this unprecedented quality with the convenience of digital."
"The My Passport Cinema drive provides another way for our customers to enjoy stunning premium 4K content on our UHD line up, and additionally, High Dynamic Range content from our SUHD TVs," said Bill Lee, vice president of TV product marketing at Samsung. "Our customers will now have the ability to purchase, own and store newly released content on one device that is easily accessible from our TVs."
"Movie playback from the My Passport Cinema drive provides consumers a hassle-free, immediate experience of premium-quality 4K UHD content on their TVs," said Tony Tate, general manager and vice president of Content Storage Solutions at WD. "The technology on My Passport Cinema also enables consumers to take preloaded 4K UHD content anywhere there is a VIDITY-enabled TV. We are committed to furthering the development of products that make consumers' interaction with their content a greater experience."
Additionally, from August 16, 2015, to June 30, 2016, a My Passport Cinema drive will be included free with the purchase of Samsung JS9000, JS9100 or JS9500 SUHD TV models so consumers can enjoy 4K UHD content immediately. Premium movies preloaded for purchase during this promotion include: The Maze Runner, Exodus: Gods and Kings, X-Men: Days of the Future Past, The Wolverine, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Fault in Our Stars, Let's Be Cops and The Other Woman.
Pricing and Availability
My Passport Cinema UHD movie storage is available today in the WD store at wdstore.com and at select retailers and distributors. The My Passport Cinema UHD movie drive 1 TB capacity has a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $89.99 and comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
Latest News Posts
- ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ: 31.5-inch 1440p 144Hz FreeSync
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1070 Katana: hands-on with the ninja
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti HOF Limited Edition detailed
- GALAX shows off GTX 1080 Ti HOF OC Lab Edition
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z in detail
- Intel Introduces X299, Kabylake-X, and Skylake-X
- Lian Li PC-Q25B - distance between stand and edge of case
- LaCie Bolt3 2TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- HyperX expand DDR4 memory with higher density kits up to 4,000MHz
- Western Digital to deliver world's first client solid state drives with 64-layer 3D NAND technology
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card