NVIDIA Collaborates With Microsoft To Make Premium, Low-Cost PCs A Reality
Microsoft Certifies NVIDIA ION to Deliver a Premium Windows Experience on PCs Starting as Low as $299
SANTA CLARA, CA-FEBRUARY 11, 2009-In an effort to deliver an outstanding computing experience on small, low power PCs, NVIDIA announced today that NVIDIA® ION has been Certified for Windows Vista. With NVIDIA ION and premium versions of Microsoft Windows, small form factor notebook and desktop PCs will have rich media capabilities and full graphics support for the first time.
Microsoft Corp. has validated NVIDIA ION with certified Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) drivers for Windows Vista Home Premium. NVIDIA is working with Microsoft, PC manufacturers, software developers, and Windows eco-system partners to bring ION-based PCs to market by summer of 2009. ION-based mini-notebooks and compact desktop PCs will have industry-leading performance at price points as low as $299.
Mike Ybarra, general manager for the Windows division at Microsoft, states: "Customers have told us they expect a full Windows experience across a variety of PC designs. What many people call a 'netbook' today is really a small notebook, and users expect it to perform like one. With NVIDIA's ION platform combined with Windows Vista Home Premium, consumers can get an affordable, premium Windows experience in a small notebook or desktop form factor. From browsing the web and checking email to streaming music or watching movies, it's an excellent solution for everyday computing."
Microsoft has certified the NVIDIA ION platform to ensure that upcoming ION-based PCs will deliver:
- Silky smooth 1080p high definition video including Blu-ray movies
- Exciting video game play with support for Microsoft's DirectX 10 API
- Support for premium Windows Vista features including Aero Glass and Flip3D
- GPU acceleration for faster photo editing and video transcoding
Microsoft's WHQL certification for Windows Vista Home Premium validates the NVIDIA ION platform as customer-ready.
"NVIDIA ION and Windows are a perfect match," said Drew Henry, general manager of the MCP business unit at NVIDIA. "It is great to have Microsoft work with us to drive Windows with ION into these new low-priced notebooks and really small desktop PCs, which previously wasn't possible with other solutions. This is a big win for consumers!"
About the NVIDIA ION Platform
The NVIDIA ION platform provides a quantum leap in mainstream graphics performance - while using less than half the space of traditional solutions - for smaller, faster, lighter, full-featured notebooks and desktop PCs. The ION platform unlocks the power of the Atom CPU by combining it with a great NVIDIA GPU.
NVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA) is the world leader in visual computing technologies and the inventor of the GPU, a high-performance processor which generates breathtaking, interactive graphics on workstations, personal computers, game consoles, and mobile devices. NVIDIA serves the entertainment and consumer market with its GeForce graphics products, the professional design and visualization market with its Quadro® graphics products, and the high-performance computing market with its Tesla computing solutions products. NVIDIA is headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif. and has offices throughout Asia, Europe, and the Americas. For more information, visit http://www.nvidia.com.
Latest News Posts
- Dark Souls III has a beautifully dramatic opening cinematic
- Google might be planning on launching new VR headset later this year
- MSI launches GT72S G Tobii gaming laptop with eye-tracking, GTX 980M
- MIT chip promises to bring neural-networks to your mobile phone
- PSA: Going to see Deadpool on Friday? Stay for the post-credits scene
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance