Boxing Day has lost its positioning as the premier shopping date of the Christmas season with Black Friday now the key date in the sales and bargain-hunting calendar.
The expected carnival of retail on Boxing Day saw online shoppers making 17% fewer purchases than they did a year ago.
Consumers got online in search of a bargain on Boxing Day at about twice the rate that they did throughout Christmas Eve and made five times as many purchases in the process.
However, the country's biggest online retailers saw their conversion rates - the percentage of online shoppers that actually made a purchase from a website - drop from a total of 3% on Boxing Day in 2013 to 2.5% in 2014.
Meanwhile, the conversion rate on Black Friday - the 28th November, reached 2.7% as British consumers went looking for deals. The number of people spending money online was also higher than on Boxing Day - almost 79% more internet shoppers bought something on an ecommerce website on Black Friday than on the 26th December.
As a result many retailers such as Currys are already preparing for Black Friday next year and using their websites to urge customers to mark out the 27th November 2015 in their diaries.
Though Boxing Day lost out to Black Friday in terms of online purchases, UK shoppers still flocked to the internet in massive numbers looking for deals once Christmas was done. Qubit's clients - a list that includes Topshop owner Arcadia Group, DFS and Shop Direct Group - saw a total of 17,657,174 online visitors throughout the day with just under half a million people making 824,152 individual purchases.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The new Zelda game takes up nearly half Switch's storage
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p docked, 720p undocked
- Super Mario Odyseey hits 7 million views on YouTube
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will support HDR10, Dolby Vision
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99