Western Digital Corp. announced today that it has completed the acquisition of sTec, Inc., an early innovator in enterprise solid-state drives (SSDs). sTec will be integrated into HGST, a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital. The acquisition augments HGST's existing solid-state storage capabilities, accelerating its ability to expand its participation in the rapidly growing area of enterprise SSDs.
Completion of the sTec acquisition follows HGST's recent purchase of VeloBit, an advanced SSD caching software company, and the proposed acquisition of Virident, an innovative provider of server-side flash storage solutions. Collectively these building blocks expand HGST's presence in the enterprise SSD space, which IDC predicts will grow from $2.5B in revenue in 2012 to $7B in revenue by 2017.
"We are excited to welcome the sTec team to HGST, where they will play a key role in our ongoing growth," said Mike Cordano, president, HGST. "sTec has a strong technology capability and foundational intellectual property that will support our initiative to deliver intelligent storage devices tailored to meet the evolving needs of today's datacenter customer."
Latest News Posts
- Steam Machines will begin their lounge room takeover in November
- NVIDIA announces GRID will stream 1080p 60FPS games to you soon
- Google announce LTE-A, a Google-powered mobile network
- NVIDIA Shield announced, a 4K-capable Android-powered box for your TV
- Sony's VR headset for the PS4 will ship in 2016 with a 1080p display
- iPad Charge Problem
- VisionTek DataVault 3S Interlocking Stackable Storage Case Review
- Backup /Restore for W7 - exit strategy for WHS 2011
- M5A78L-M LX Plus + FX4100 Serious Failure Problem?
- ASUS WiFi Bridge
- Phanteks Announces Enthoo EVOLV ITX Chassis
- SanDisk Unveils the World's Highest Capacity microSD Card
- SanDisk Announces iNAND 7132 e.MMC Storage with 1 Gbps Transfer Rates
- SanDisk Intros Two Smartphone-friendly Flash Drives
- SanDisk Intros First Memory Cards Designed for Dashcams