Logitech International today announced financial results for the third quarter of Fiscal Year 2013. Sales for Q3 FY 2013 were $615 million, down 14 percent from $715 million in Q3 FY 2012, with no material impact from exchange rates. The company posted an operating loss of $180 million, which included a non-cash goodwill impairment charge, estimated to be $211 million, announced on January 22, 2013. Net loss for Q3 FY 2013 was $195 million ($1.24 per share) compared to net income of $55 million ($0.32 per share) in Q3 FY 2012. Gross margin for the quarter was 34.2 percent, compared to 36.2 percent in the same quarter one year ago. Excluding the aforementioned Q3 FY 2013 impairment charge, Q3 FY 2013 non-GAAP operating income would have been $31 million and non-GAAP net income would have been $16 million.
Logitech's retail sales for Q3 FY 2013 decreased by 14 percent year over year, down 8 percent in the Americas, 11 percent in Asia and 20 percent in EMEA. Year over year, OEM sales decreased by 23 percent and sales for the LifeSize division decreased by 4 percent.
"As we articulated when we started the third quarter, continued weakness in the global PC market was the primary factor in our disappointing Q3 results," said Bracken P. Darrell, Logitech president and chief executive officer. "These results are unacceptable and we are taking decisive action as an outcome of my strategic review. I was pleased with the continued strong demand for our Ultrathin Keyboard Cover in Q3. We plan to expand our presence in the growing tablet accessories category with the launch of a number of exciting new products later this quarter.
"We are taking immediate actions to shape a faster and more profitable Logitech," continued Mr. Darrell. "We are developing more mobility-related products, leveraging the powerful growth of tablets and smartphones. We intend to sustain our leadership in PC platform-related products where we have engineering, distribution and scale advantages. Our goal with PC-platform products is to maximize profitability, while investing selectively in growing categories. We have also identified a number of product categories that no longer fit with our current strategic direction. As a result, we have initiated the process to divest our remote controls and digital video security categories, and we plan to discontinue other non-strategic products, such as speaker docks and console gaming peripherals, by the end of Calendar Year 2013."
Mr. Darrell concluded, "As we execute our plans over the coming quarters, we will reduce costs significantly across the company beyond the $80M annual cost savings (FY 2014 over FY 2012) resulting from the restructuring we announced last April. My goal is to get Logitech back to sustained profitability as quickly as possible. This requires unwavering focus on developing great products both for large and for fast-growing markets, removing unnecessary costs and a commitment to move at least as fast as the markets in which we participate."
Prepared Remarks Available Online
Logitech has made its prepared written remarks for the financial results teleconference available online on the Logitech corporate Web site at http://ir.logitech.com. The remarks are posted in the Calendar section on the Investor home page.
Financial Results Teleconference and Webcast
Logitech will hold a financial results teleconference to discuss the results for Q3 FY 2013 on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time and 14:30 Central European Time. A live webcast of the call will be available on the Logitech corporate website at http://ir.logitech.com.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon GPU tech will power Intel's next-gen iGPUs
- Titanfall 2 infographic reveal interesting information
- Apple's new MacBook Pro has crappy battery life
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand