SEOUL, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Display Co., Ltd., a global leader in display panel technologies and products, announced today that it has exceeded 300 million panels in cumulative OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) panel production since mass production began in January 2007.
Piling all 300 million Samsung OLED panels on top of one another would equal more than 68 times the height of Mt. Everest. That volume averages out to having produced more than 470,000 panels a day, or 5.4 panels a second.
While it took Samsung Display four and a half years to reach the initial 100 million production mark for OLED panels, the next 100 million units were produced in just eleven months, and the last 100 million units were produced in only seven months.
Samsung Display held a ceremony to commemorate the 300 million production milestone today at Samsung Display City located in Asan city, Chungcheongnam-do, Korea, which was attended by its president and more than 300 other employees.
Kinam Kim, the president and CEO of Samsung Display, said at the ceremony, "After six years of nearly constant production, we have achieved a monumental milestone in producing 300 million panels, which represents the vast majority of OLED panels produced during that time." He added, "Samsung Display will accelerate its leadership in OLED production by introducing the next generation OLED technology, including large-sized TV panels and flexible displays."
Samsung Display has 98 percent market share in the OLED panel market. Its OLED technology is considered the premium technology for the next generation of displays due to OLED's high color gamut, more vivid and natural images than conventional display technologies, and optimized features for future displays including flexible and transparent display technologies.
Since Samsung Display mass produced the world's first OLED panels in 2007, its OLED displays have been used in smartphones, tablet PCs and digital cameras.
Latest News Posts
- Project Sonic announced for PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo NX
- AMD to have a massive volume launch of next-gen Zen CPUs in early 2017
- Facebook CEO says 'AR will be where VR' is today in 5-10 years
- Microsoft 'couldn't focus' enough in order to make a portable Xbox
- Witcher 3 first person mod released, looking good
- Ghostbusters (2016) Cinema Movie Review
- Why do I have trouble starting my machine?
- G1.Sniper M3 Boot Loop
- GPU Ugrade killed my NIC
- Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio
- G.SKILL announces a major software update for the RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard