14 November 2012: To celebrate the release of One Direction's brand new album 'Take Me Home' Spotify and Sony Music today announce the launch of the 1D Music app from One Direction, which launches globally today on Spotify. The 1D Music app allows fans to enjoy One Direction's music, - including their brand new album 'Take Me Home' - listen to playlists curated by the boys, find out what they're listening to on tour, and create and send playlists to them, from which they will choose and post their favourites. Spotify can also reveal that One Direction's songs have now smashed the '100 million streams' milestone, proving what a huge hit the band are with users of the social music service. You too can also publish music online like One Direction with the help of digital distribution.
About the app
The One Direction app, 1D Music, features playlists from both the members of the band - Liam, Harry, Louis, Niall and Zayn - and from their fans. The app centres around an interactive world map which displays exclusive playlists put together by the band based key highlights of their career to date, moods and occasions. Example playlists include 'Harry's House', 'Romance', and 'Practice Tracks for the X Factor'. The playlists give an insight into the band's musical tastes, and are playable and shareable via Twitter, Facebook and to other Spotify users from within the app.
One Direction fans can also create Spotify playlists of their own in the 1D Music app before submitting them to the band, who will choose their favourites to feature in the fan 'Hall of Fame'.
In the Music Player, you can listen to the band's entire back catalogue of albums and singles, including the newly-released album 'Take Me Home', while browsing the pile of fan-submitted photos.
The 1D Music app is a hub for the band's social media channels, including the One Direction Instagram feed and the official @onedirection Twitter feed, so fans can explore their music, tastes and stay in touch with the band.
One Direction commented, "Make sure you check out our new app on Spotify. As well as our new album you can check out what we've been listening to over the last couple of years and the music we're listening to right now!"
Will Hope, Director of Label Relations for Spotify added: "One Direction are one of the biggest bands in the world today, with a huge and dedicated fan base, so it's no surprise that they have smashed the 100 million streams barrier on Spotify. Social media has played a really important role in the band's success and 1D Music will take this one step further. This new app gives the band the chance to show their fans the music that inspires them, as well we giving fans the chance to share the music that they love with the band themselves."
Nicola Tuer, EVP Sony Music UK says: "Spotify is a valued Sony Music partner on a global basis and breaking through 100 million streams is an incredible achievement for One Direction. We've enjoyed working closely with Spotify on this app launch which allows fans to interact with the biggest pop band in the world in a whole new way."
Latest News Posts
- 5G spec: 20Gbps down, 1 million devices per square km
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications