Spansion Inc., the leading innovator in Flash memory solutions, today announced the industry's first single-die 8 (Gigabit) Gb NOR Flash memory product at 45 nanometer (nm). The 8 Gb Spansion GL-T delivers high-quality, fast random access read performance to enable a better user experience with interactive graphics, animation and video in games and industrial applications.
Based on Spansion's proprietary, highly reliable MirrorBit technology, the 8 Gb Spansion GL-T will begin sampling next month. The Spansion GL-T family at 45 nm is the newest addition to the Spansion GL parallel NOR product line and complements the 65 nm Spansion GL-S product family, which ranges from 128 Megabit (Mb) through 4 Gb densities. With the fastest read and program speeds for NOR Flash memory in the industry, Spansion continues to expand its customer engagements and design wins for the Spansion GL product family, which is targeted at enriching the user experience in consumer, automotive, gaming, telecom and industrial applications.
High-speed, random access read performance is critical for gaming and industrial applications as more devices become Internet-enabled and require rich multi-dimensional graphics, fast data access, and connectivity with other devices as the "Internet of Things" continues to grow. For example, next-generation games are enhancing the multi-touch experience, increasing the need for more software and processing power, which requires fast read from Flash memory. In addition, industrial applications such as healthcare monitoring, factory automation and smart energy continue to demand increasingly more density and reliability, which is inherent in Spansion's NOR Flash memory.
- The Spansion GL-T and its high performance is ideally suited for handheld consumer games, game cartridges, handheld learning devices, and industrial applications such as healthcare monitoring, factory automation and home energy management systems.
- The 8Gb product will sample in December with production in the first quarter of 2013.
- Read performance of the Spansion GL-T at 8 Gb is 95 MegaBytes per second (MB/s) and program performance is 1.8 MB/s.
- Manufactured on advanced 300 millimeter (mm) production facility.
- Value-added software drivers and Flash file system software available to speed memory integration and increase device performance.
Michael Yang, Senior Principal Analyst, IHS iSuppli Corporation
"Spansion continues to innovate with its MirrorBit technology and develop new products that lead the industry in density for NOR Flash memory, which is increasingly expanding its application uses into connected and intelligent devices," said Michael Yang. "NOR Flash memory continues to play an essential role in providing instant-on boot up capabilities, fast access and interactivity for the increasing amount of graphics, video and data in Internet-enabled devices."
Glenda Dorchak, EVP and GM of Global Business, Spansion
"The trend of multiple content-rich connected devices per person is accelerating, expected to reach approximately seven connected devices per user by 2020. This creates design challenges for our customers as they seek to deliver a differentiated and personal user experience for end products, with more graphics-rich features and the ability to connect with other devices quickly and seamlessly," said Glenda Dorchak. "The Spansion GL-T dramatically increases interactivity and speed for quickly processing data and graphics, enabling high-performance and innovative designs in next-generation electronics."
Saied Tehrani, Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer, Spansion
"We have continued to scale our MirrorBit charge trapping technology efficiently to 45 nm to deliver the industry's first single-die 8 Gb NOR Flash memory," said Dr. Saied Tehrani. "Our proprietary 45 nm MirrorBit technology and our unique design architecture allow us to also deliver the fastest read and program speeds for NOR Flash memory in the industry."
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset