Spansion Inc., the leading innovator in Flash memory solutions, today announced the industry's first single-die 8 (Gigabit) Gb NOR Flash memory product at 45 nanometer (nm). The 8 Gb Spansion GL-T delivers high-quality, fast random access read performance to enable a better user experience with interactive graphics, animation and video in games and industrial applications.
Based on Spansion's proprietary, highly reliable MirrorBit technology, the 8 Gb Spansion GL-T will begin sampling next month. The Spansion GL-T family at 45 nm is the newest addition to the Spansion GL parallel NOR product line and complements the 65 nm Spansion GL-S product family, which ranges from 128 Megabit (Mb) through 4 Gb densities. With the fastest read and program speeds for NOR Flash memory in the industry, Spansion continues to expand its customer engagements and design wins for the Spansion GL product family, which is targeted at enriching the user experience in consumer, automotive, gaming, telecom and industrial applications.
High-speed, random access read performance is critical for gaming and industrial applications as more devices become Internet-enabled and require rich multi-dimensional graphics, fast data access, and connectivity with other devices as the "Internet of Things" continues to grow. For example, next-generation games are enhancing the multi-touch experience, increasing the need for more software and processing power, which requires fast read from Flash memory. In addition, industrial applications such as healthcare monitoring, factory automation and smart energy continue to demand increasingly more density and reliability, which is inherent in Spansion's NOR Flash memory.
- The Spansion GL-T and its high performance is ideally suited for handheld consumer games, game cartridges, handheld learning devices, and industrial applications such as healthcare monitoring, factory automation and home energy management systems.
- The 8Gb product will sample in December with production in the first quarter of 2013.
- Read performance of the Spansion GL-T at 8 Gb is 95 MegaBytes per second (MB/s) and program performance is 1.8 MB/s.
- Manufactured on advanced 300 millimeter (mm) production facility.
- Value-added software drivers and Flash file system software available to speed memory integration and increase device performance.
Michael Yang, Senior Principal Analyst, IHS iSuppli Corporation
"Spansion continues to innovate with its MirrorBit technology and develop new products that lead the industry in density for NOR Flash memory, which is increasingly expanding its application uses into connected and intelligent devices," said Michael Yang. "NOR Flash memory continues to play an essential role in providing instant-on boot up capabilities, fast access and interactivity for the increasing amount of graphics, video and data in Internet-enabled devices."
Glenda Dorchak, EVP and GM of Global Business, Spansion
"The trend of multiple content-rich connected devices per person is accelerating, expected to reach approximately seven connected devices per user by 2020. This creates design challenges for our customers as they seek to deliver a differentiated and personal user experience for end products, with more graphics-rich features and the ability to connect with other devices quickly and seamlessly," said Glenda Dorchak. "The Spansion GL-T dramatically increases interactivity and speed for quickly processing data and graphics, enabling high-performance and innovative designs in next-generation electronics."
Saied Tehrani, Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer, Spansion
"We have continued to scale our MirrorBit charge trapping technology efficiently to 45 nm to deliver the industry's first single-die 8 Gb NOR Flash memory," said Dr. Saied Tehrani. "Our proprietary 45 nm MirrorBit technology and our unique design architecture allow us to also deliver the fastest read and program speeds for NOR Flash memory in the industry."
Latest News Posts
- Super Mario Odyseey hits 7 million views on YouTube
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will support HDR10, Dolby Vision
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Survive the 'Inferno' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Samsung's inquiry blames batteries for the Note7 fiasco?
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99